Championship Horse Racing

Home Forums Horse Racing Championship Horse Racing

This topic contains 89 replies, has 26 voices, and was last updated by  Jonibake 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 91 total)
  • Author
    stevecaution
    stevecaution
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8298

As Cav says, how many would want to have Lobster in the afternoon and then sit down in the evening to gorge on value fish fingers?

I feel that people who watch racing and can appreciate the difference between class horses and run of the mill handicappers, are much more likely to grasp the narrative of a season, with Classics, Group 1 meetings and 2YO horses making they way to become the following year’s Classic contenders. They will form a better informed and perhaps become a life long follower with a love for truly great champions.

Those watching endless mediocre content are probably going to have a much more ephemeral interest in the Sport and be bored rather quickly by the same ‘ol same’ ol.

I am happy to be selfish and see it for what it really is, more cannon fodder races that benefit the bookies. There is nothing altruistic behind this plan. It’s all about money. Plain and simple.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24428

As far as “F1” is concerned, as far as I can see it’s doing three things:

1) Teams racing against each other, with the points totalling up in to a Championship.

2) In horse racing every horse has a unique name, therefore it’s impossible to call “teams” after just one horse. ie A team competition needs to be about the trainer, jockey and owner – just as F1… not so much about the horse.
    Teams are: Trainer/s (Engines/Constructor – Mercedes, Ferrari etc) and jockeys (Driver – Hamilton, Vettel etc), in 12 teams named after brands (Team Owner/Entrant – Red Bull, Martini etc)…

3) And the only other thing similar to F1 is:
    The scoring system, ie similar to:

Winner of a race gets 28 points
    2nd 18 points
    3rd 15
    4th 12
    5th 10
    6th 8
    7th 6
    8th 4
    9th 2
    10th 1

They’re not going to put the bloody horse in a car and race it around tarmac. :wacko:

value is everything
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24428

You seem desperate for change ginge.
    What is so wrong with what we have got.?

Read Joni’s post, Nathan. As often the case, he puts things more eloquently. Am not “desperate for change”, won’t be that interested in the competition anyway, just think it’s worth trying in order to reach another audience. In my opinion nothing/little is wrong with Racing how it is now, however I am already hooked on Racing. With the percentage of gambling going to horse racing diminishing and other gambling issues such as the levy and FOBT’s closing bookmaker’s shops – I don’t think we can afford to be so dismissive, although of course it’ll need some thought/tweeking – Cav’s made some excellent points and posed interesting questions.

• This reply was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by Gingertipster Gingertipster.
    value is everything
    Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19508

and you think that’s a good idea…….. :wacko:

Your timeline on the subject goes

1. Ginger don’t like the idea
    2. Gosden shows support to it
    3. Ginger now likes it

as far as viewing figures go, it won’t last. I’m already planning on joining the Thursday night watch paint dry club.
    Like Steve says it’s all about money and if Sky get the gig they will soon work out that the G1 horses is where the viewing figures and money is at and will go after that possibly, I doubt it but if they do and turn that into the circus that this idea looks like I bet your value to the last pound you won’t like it or perhaps making a mockery of our top horses is moving with the times and you’d like that as this forum is in the past, perhaps 100’s of years of history should get brushed up on so Murdoch and co can make a extra few pound.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24428

Your timeline on the subject goes

1. Ginger don’t like the idea
    2. Gosden shows support to it
    3. Ginger now likes it

You seem desperate to twist things, Nathan. Read my posts again. To put it in to your language: I “don’t like the idea” as far as my own personal enjoyment goes – am not going to be that interested. But Racing is for more people than just me and if (that’s “IF”) it helps reach another audience then yes, I “like it” for that reason. It is possible to be both.
    :bye:

value is everything

Jonibake
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4006

“Like Steve says it’s all about money and if Sky get the gig they will soon work out that the G1 horses is where the viewing figures and money is at and will go after that possibly, I doubt it but if they do and turn that into the circus that this idea looks like I bet your value to the last pound you won’t like it or perhaps making a mockery of our top horses is moving with the times and you’d like that as this forum is in the past, perhaps 100’s of years of history should get brushed up on so Murdoch and co can make a extra few pound.” That’s some sentence!!!

I agree Steve that there IS a narrative there for lovers of the game. Watching those 2 year olds win a maiden, step up to listed/group, run in a trial then a Classic. It’s what I love about flat-racing. But for some reason that narrative doesn’t work for average Joe’s. Perhaps it takes too long to see the development, perhaps they just don’t care enough. Like it or not more and more people want instant gratification these days. I am sure it won’t spoil our love of the sport. We might even get to see some more of the really decent handicaps for higher rated horses that we have been seeing in Meydan over the past few seasons. I imagine it will replace the Thursday night Premier League darts when that finishes for the season. It’s that same slot they are after I think. I’ll give it a peek and if I don’t like it I won’t watch it.

"this perfect mix of poetry and destruction, this glory of rhythm, power and majesty: the undisputed champion of the world!!!"

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5311

A team-type approach would help racing overall, but not, I think, as a one-off or on any short term basis. It would make a lot of sense if every horse carried the colours of a trainer rather than owner. As now, multiple runners from a yard could be differentiated using cap colour.

This would make race reading at its most basic a hell of a lot easier for the casual racegoer, and when somebody understands something and can easily follow it, I suspect that goes a long way toward stimulating an ongoing interest.

You could add an armlet for, say the top 3 jockeys riding at a meeting.

With such a structure, you’d have a much better chance of stimulating a healthy rivalry among fans who could follow a yard as they would a team. You could also have league tables based on prize money and number of winners. People would steadily become familiar with the top scoring horses, pulling them even deeper into the sport.

Stumbling block would be the loss of prestige for owners, although perhaps they could have a crest or something on their particular set of yard colours. Or maybe their name or company name on the back of silks/legs of breeches.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24428

Would ITV really put six horse racing handicaps on its main channel at prime time, given the preference they generally have for the Saturday afternoon matinee over horse racing at present? Difficult to imagine it would. Competition for network coverage from World Cups, European Championships, Olympic Games etc… most summers would also have to be factored in.

I’d have thought it would probably be on ITV4, just like most of the other terrestrial stuff.

value is everything
    Cav
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4890

Thinking about it some more it would almost certainly be on ITV 4 Ginge. Having sat from circa 1pm to 4pm watching the Nassau or Yorshire Oaks coverage, I cant see myself sitting for another two and a half hours of after the lord mayors show on the back channel.

And I’m a die-hard. 🙂

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24428

Stripped back to its basics its another 48 decent quality horse races to bet on of a Thursday summer evening that do not currently exist already I suppose.

You’d wonder though, how it might dilute the already existing big handicaps at the July, Glorious and Ebor festiv als, as the thing is mooted to be run from July to September. There’s only so many decent flat handicappers to go round.

You could also feasibly have a scenario where three of the eight racedays would be “engines” only, as the majority of flat racing’s “people” would be popping corks elsewhere, namely Goodwood, Newmarket and York.

You’d also wonder how much the so called “casual viewer” would be interested in spending another two and half hours of their summer day watching more horse racing, having spent their entire Thursday afternoon watching the ITV coverage of the aforementioned festivals as well.

Good points Cav, but when I were a lad, Big handicaps had horses right down the full weight range, if memory serves sometimes horses ran from out of the handicap. Nowadays it seems there’s far too many possible participents, with the actual weight range usually far smaller. Smaller weight range does two things, fewer unexposed/improving older horses as well as fewer three year olds getting a run.

Is it not possible this initiative may well enable more unexposed older horses and good three year olds from lower down the weights getting in to the Big Handicaps and therefore actually improving those races? :unsure:

If this is a competion taking in 8 days of 6 races each day… And is proposed to run in July, August and September… How does 8 thursdays fit in to 12 weeks? :unsure: Could it be thursdays that clash with a “Festival” are going to be missed out? :unsure:

value is everything
    Ben_Bernanke
    Ben_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 641

Think they’re doing it in the evening because teenagers/young adults (the target audience, I’d assume) will be working/at school or college during the day but will probably stay in on a Thursday night before going out on the weekend. And someone’s suggestion (apologies for not remembering whose) if it being put on the potentially new sky racing channel is a good shout.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 19508

Joe the owners will be allowed to keep the silks
    they are going to be painting the horses in team colours instead
    that’s what Anthony Knott told me anyway

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    Cav
    Cav
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4890

Good points Cav, but when I were a lad, Big handicaps had horses right down the full weight range, if memory serves sometimes horses ran from out of the handicap. Nowadays it seems there’s far too many possible participents, with the actual weight range usually far smaller. Smaller weight range does two things, fewer unexposed/improving older horses as well as fewer three year olds getting a run.

Is it not possible this initiative may well enable more unexposed older horses and good three year olds from lower down the weights getting in to the Big Handicaps and therefore actually improving those races? :unsure:

If this is a competion taking in 8 days of 6 races each day… And is proposed to run in July, August and September… How does 8 thursdays fit in to 12 weeks? :unsure: Could it be thursdays that clash with a “Festival” are going to be missed out? :unsure:

It might do Ginge, prizemoney and prestige will dictate that I suppose, which logically would still make the big summer festival handicaps more appealing you’d imagine. Anyway on a personal note regarding heritage handicaps, I dont miss three year old plot jobs from these races anyway.

The piece in the RP article mentioned consecutive Thursdays, which makes sense from a planning point of view if your attempting to maintain the all important “narrative”. :wacko:

The same piece also mentions The Jockey Club and RMG having an agreement of ownership structure and partnership terms in the series, so that would almost certainly rule out the all new Sky Racing Channel from broadcasting it. Will be fitted in around the action from Downpatrick, Sligo and Tramore on RUK. 🙂

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1073

Here today gone tomorrow gimmicks are not what racing needs to bring in a new demographic of viewers – the fact that they are citing F1 (a sport that is dominated by three mega rich teams that win all the races….er that sounds awfully familiar) and which by and large is boring as you know what shows you how much of a clue they just don’t have.

It may well bring in the new blood until the novelty wears off and then they realise that the rest of racing bears no resemblance to what brought them in and then they will stop coming racing and then the backing will find something else new and shiny to support and racing will be back to where we were before this ‘genius’ idea was born.

As you can probably tell, not a fan of this.

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 24428

the fact that they are citing F1 (a sport that is dominated by three mega rich teams that win all the races….er that sounds awfully familiar) and which by and large is boring as you know what shows you how much of a clue they just don’t have.

Nope, just “shows how much of a clue you just don’t have”, LD.

These races are handicaps for goodness sake! Are the better cars weighed down to make F1 a “handicap”? No.

See my earlier post towards the top of this page about what they are referring to in the “F1” comparisson… And then tell me how any of those three things similar to F1 are going to make racing less competitive and/or “boring”.

value is everything
Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 91 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.