Catterick 12.15

Home Forums Horse Racing Catterick 12.15

This topic contains 22 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  GhostofTheFellow 10 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

GhostofTheFellow
    • Total Posts 430

”jockeyship wins the day” that is what the gut on Ruk said!!!!!!!

No bet so not speaking through my pocket.

IGNOTUS was on a double handful all the way round

What annoys me is why do the press not say he wasnt trying!!!!!

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3327

The guy on the second wasn’t even trying – it was worse than the Byrnes incident in Ireland a couple of years ago. He had no intention of winning the race.

robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4115

Rubbish!

He was trying hard enough up the straight until held on the flat, at which point in desperate ground his jockey accepted the inevitable second place.

Of course, Thomas Thompson could have beaten lumps out of him trying to force more out of the horse, but then we would have had another Miko De Beauchene/Thornton thread.

Rob

Irish Stamp
    • Total Posts 3327

There is a happy medium between not pushing, driving or hitting the horse and overuse of the whip.

Kautostar1
    • Total Posts 389

Luckily i was on the favourite :D but i was staggered to see the other jockey give up riding so far before the line. Would have been a different result if Tony McCoy was on board Ignotus.
    There’s a difference between flogging a dead horse and riding out a horse that (seemed to have) plenty left to give. However may have been injured or something so can’t pass too much judgment.

The ground was shocking though wasn’t it?! Heavy in places? Looked like everywhere was heavy.

carvillshill
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2847

Rubbish!

He was trying hard enough up the straight until held on the flat, at which point in desperate ground his jockey accepted the inevitable second place.

Of course, Thomas Thompson could have beaten lumps out of him trying to force more out of the horse, but then we would have had another Miko De Beauchene/Thornton thread.

Rob

You must have been watching a different race to me- he made absolutely no effort after the last and was quite rightly banned for 21 days. The trainer copped a 5 grand fine and the horse is banned for 40 days. Somehow I doubt they’ll appeal.

robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4115

CH

Clearly I was watching a different race!

I’m amazed by that punishment.

Rob

graysonscolumn
    graysonscolumn
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7112

There is a happy medium between not pushing, driving or hitting the horse and overuse of the whip.

Indeed so. Heaven knows I’ve tried the patience of some on the Forum in recent weeks by not putting the boot in where others have, but from quite some way up the run-in even I was thinking, "they’re going to feel your collar here if you don’t at least wave your stick at the horse just a couple of times, young sir".

Thomas Thompson has had rides under Rules over the last three and a bit years, but not many. It will be interesting to note once the riding ban has been served whether Alan Swinbank retains enough faith in Thompson to retain him as the stable conditional, as it didn’t look desperately good today.

gc

The patron saint of lower-grade fare. A gently critical friend of point-to-pointing. Kindness is a political act.

GhostofTheFellow
    • Total Posts 430

Rob your way off the mark with this one mate

Didnt try a lick and your right there would be no point hitting lumps out of the horse but didnt even push the horse out.

Cmon watch the race again and Kautostar1 is right i dont think they will appeal :roll:

IMHO they got off lightly

crizzy
    Participant
    • Total Posts 877

Shocking effort (or absolute lack of it). I’m glad they got fined/ banned. Reading the RP notes just now they simply say that the second wasn’t given a hard ride. Bloody right, I reckon he could have done another circuit with his back legs tied together.

robnorth
    robnorth
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4115

Cmon watch the race again and Kautostar1 is right i dont think they will appeal

I did, twice more, but I still disagree with you. However, the stewards agreed with you, and ultimately they are the ones that count.

As a side issue from the meeting does anyone know if Another Charmer was OK after his fall in the novice chase? It looked to me as if he was ‘carrying a leg’ when he got up.

Rob

rory
    rory
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2800

It was actually a lovely ride until coming to the last ~ perfectly positioned and produced correctly but his response on the run in was appalling; the RP suggests he gave a token effort but he might even have won but for easing up in the last 100 yards. One thing I will question is whether Alan Swinbank is culpable. If you want to give a horse "an easy" this isn’t the way to do it and I reckon this was simply a brainstorm on the part of the jockey.

Charlie D
    Charlie D
    • Total Posts 504

They should give jockey 40 days, A Swinbank a £50 fine for employing jockey and horse a medal

GhostofTheFellow
    • Total Posts 430

Rory i think the jockey couldnt believe the position he was in coming off the back straight and his total lack experience let him down.

Like you Rob i hope Another Charmer got up it looked a really nasty fall.

Venusian
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1714

I’ve got some sympathy for the rider.

I imagine that the lad was "advised" by the trainer that the horse was unlikely to be able to win the race, and then just froze when faced with the likelihood of actually winning it.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.