Boxing Day 2017, which course to visit…

Home Forums Horse Racing Boxing Day 2017, which course to visit…

This topic contains 4 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by thenipper thenipper 2 days, 3 hours ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    thenipper
    thenipper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 14

Hi all,

Long story short I have a few family members visiting for Christmas and I thought a day racing might be in good order. With most of the family slightly older and with a few kids in tow I was looking to suggest Kempton or Fontwell Park, I live pretty much in the middle of these two.

My initial concerns with Kempton was that although the racing would be top class, it would likely be packed to the rafters which may not be the most enjoyable experience for those who aren’t racing fanatics.

I see on a few other topics that Fontwell might be a decent shout – but was to keen to hear any thoughts the experience on this forum before a final decision. :yes:

Many thanks!

Steve

Gingertipster
    Gingertipster
    Participant
    • Total Posts 21905

Hi all,

Long story short I have a few family members visiting for Christmas and I thought a day racing might be in good order. With most of the family slightly older and with a few kids in tow I was looking to suggest Kempton or Fontwell Park, I live pretty much in the middle of these two.

My initial concerns with Kempton was that although the racing would be top class, it would likely be packed to the rafters which may not be the most enjoyable experience for those who aren’t racing fanatics.

I see on a few other topics that Fontwell might be a decent shout – but was to keen to hear any thoughts the experience on this forum before a final decision. :yes:

Many thanks!

Steve

Others might know differently, Steve. But if you’re concerned with Kempton being too busy I would think Fontwell would be too. I haven’t been to Fontwell for some years. On a normal day it’s great. Haven’t been there on Boxing Day but I’d imagine it at least the same as a Sunday… Went there after a John Dunlop (Sunday) Arundel open day – from the direction I presume you’re going from – never again! Roads were so bad missed the first race and Fontwell itself too busy for me, but then again I don’t like it too crowded.

Many years ago I went to Wincanton on Boxing Day. What seemed a slow moving 3 mile tail back to get there then racing called off due to fog. Stayed there and bet on Kempton races – the day Barton Bank won the King George, or was it the year he fell?

Sorry to be so negative, but you did say being too busy was a concern.

You might think about letting the train take the strain as far as traffic is concened.

Is it particularly a Boxing Day event you’re after? If your guests are staying longer, what about the 27th December at Kempton?

value is everything

TommyNag
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17

Been to Kempton the last few years and think you are probably right to have a little concern about how busy it is. Tends to be plenty of people well on the drink aswell, so not sure that is the best option.

Think with the course closing in a few years, will only attract a bigger crowd now aswell.

Tonge
    Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 516

I can’t think of anywhere that won’t be really busy on Boxing Day and the roads are always mad on account of no trains. Haven’t been to Kempton for years (See More Business won, so that’ll tell you!). Even then it was heaving and full of drunks with little interest in the racing. Not been to Fontwell on Boxing Day but it’s a friendly course and on a much smaller scale so, if you DO lose somebody, you’ve at least got a good chance of finding them again. Allow plenty of time to get there, whatever you decide – and have a great time.

thenipper
    thenipper
    Participant
    • Total Posts 14

Thanks for all the replies chaps.

Yes a primary concern was around massive crowds but I’m guessing that is to be expected on Boxing Day whichever course you attend. Thanks for the suggestion Ginger, unfortunately most are heading back then.

Currently leaning toward Fontwell and have to chance it, it’s practically half the price of the ticket at Kempton and I’m not enthralled about the combination of massive crowds and plenty on the drink. If it was just the wife and I, would be doable – but with family of all ages and kids wouldn’t be a best idea!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.