Betfred warning to MP's over betting shops

Home Forums Horse Racing Betfred warning to MP's over betting shops

This topic contains 36 replies, has 21 voices, and was last updated by  Nausered 2 months, 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author

steveh31
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1645

https://news.sky.com/story/betfred-to-axe-4500-jobs-if-ministers-slash-fobt-stakes-11373967

Betfred have told MP’s that if FOBT’s are reduced to £2 half of it’s shops will become unprofitable overnight and 4,500 jobs could be lost.

A prediction of 20,000 job losses throughout the industry if FOBT’s are reduced.

Degaussed
    Degaussed
    Participant
    • Total Posts 516

:bye:

Gladiateur
    Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 994

More scaremongering from those loathsome bookmaker chappies.

The sooner they’re all closed, the better.

Marginal Value
    Participant
    • Total Posts 569

Recreational drug dealers have warned the government that efforts to curtail the under-cover trade in the UK will lead to most dealers losing their income and becoming reliant on state benfits, with their ex-clients becoming malcontents who may cause public unrest.

The Association of Chief Police Officers have warned The Treasury that if muggers and petty thieves are taken off the streets they will all be claiming more state benefits to fund their anti-social habits, which will lead to a nationwide increase in taxes.

The Financial Conduct Authority (FCA) have warned the government that keeping such tight regulation on financial advisors that it stops them exploiting uninformed old people with pension funds, may mean that thousands of them will lose their jobs.

The Federation of Master Builders have informed the government that maintaining a high level of scrutiny of house builders which makes sure that they do not ignore Building Regulations, means that fewer houses fall down or catch fire, and therefore reduces job opportunities in the building trade, the fire and rescue service, the ambulance service and other NHS services, the engineering sector and the legal system. A total disaster in the jobs market.

I am so impressed with the bookmaking fraternity in making a concerted and co-ordinated effort to keep up the staffing levels in their shops. I am less impressed that they are happy to further disadvantage some of the most vulnerable people in society. They could try to keep staffing levels up by introducing more varied and attractive products and services with a higher level of customer care.

Matron
    Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5460
    botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2220

Dear Bookmaker,

Following a review of your account we regret to inform you that your account will be restricted to £2

Kind Regards

HM Government

mrwjones
    mrwjones
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5

Thanks,Botchy.Spluttered tea down my shirt reading that.

Nausered
    Participant
    • Total Posts 285

:good: :good: :good:

Very, very good Marginal Value & Botchy. The two best/funniest posts I’ve read on this forum.

It’s like a line of scaremongering weasels, one after the other, coming forwards to protect the Goose that lays the golden egg.

Scuffling ferrets.

I can’t stop laughing at that Botchy!

admin
    admin
    Keymaster
    • Total Posts 621

Brilliant Botchy

Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5121

The Sports Minister is making a statement in the Commons now

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/live/bbcparliament

Nausered
    Participant
    • Total Posts 285

Thanks Drone, I’ve restarted the programme. For once, I’m very happy with the Government today.

Some very telling statements from Tracey Crouch. The biggest one for me, that the majority of players they had spoken too who were playing at the maximum £100 stake per spin, were unemployed. Also that players playing at £5-£10 per spin, were the most common losers of £1000 or more in one session. Very telling comments from the MP for the Isle of White, pointing out that this FOBT situation, casts a very poor outlook on previously (in their eyes) supposedly trustworthy bookmakers in this Country. I’ve said it before in other threads, it has not come to light yet… But the computerisation of the outcome of gambling, is a terrible terrible thing for the punter. Anything where a computer program, controlled by the persons making the profit, determines the outcome of an event which is being gambled on… It’s a very very shady deal indeed. This all needs looking at very very closely by those in power.

This is a great moment, for once the right thing has been done regardless of monetary gain. Well done Tracey Crouch, I salute you.

Betting shops will shut… They bloody well need too Fred Done! They have taken over our poorest high streets, opened literally thousands of new shops, in their mission to get around the four machines per shop rule. Why would they do that? Because it’s the Goose that lays the golden egg, 100% guaranteed.

Watch what happens next, all the horse racing bonuses will slow down, but… Bookmakers will need to go back to concentrating on their core sports, Racing, Football etc. This is a great day for all of the punters, whom the bookies have tried to eliminate from their business over the past ten years. They did not need us whilst they had the golden egg laying Goose, you can bet your last £2 maximum stake, they will need us all again now. A lot of them will need to grow a pair of kahoonas again, very quickly indeed.

A great day, and a real shot across the bows of the bookies, in a disgusting ongoing situation.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1033

If your shop can’t survive without these machines well they shouldn’t have been there in the first place, lets face it most of these shops were opened purely so these cash cow machines could be housed to do their work.

Here is a thought, how about going back to basics and actually be proper betting shops again were you engage with punters in…….gasp sports betting!

Himself
    Himself
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3827

Good riddance . Maybe , just maybe , as Matt Chapman said this afternoon , the leading bookmaker chains will start being bookmakers once again .

I have never played any of those machines but I have witnessed the human tragedy that can result from addiction to these machines .

Is it any wonder that no self respecting horse racing fans/punters have set foot in betting shops since the introduction of FOBTs .

Bookmakers are sounding the death knell of high street shops because of the newly set maximum stake : I would argue that they have been dying a slow death for many years now because of the FOBTs and the onset of internet gambling .

I think the correct step would have been to ban FOBTs completely from betting shops . The £2 maximum stake is a compromise that they will have to accept and adapt to , otherwise bring the shutters down and lock up the premises for good .

I , for one , won’t mourn their passing . :bye:

Gambling Only Pays When You're Winning

Gladiateur
    Gladiateur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 994

I’m just waiting for the usual bedwetters to start sounding the death knell for British racing after this move.

Irish bookmakers don’t have any FOBTs and the Irish racing scene seems to be doing just fine.

Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5121

A welcome move by the government

High Street bookmakers would have all but died shortly after the advent of on-line betting and the betting exchanges had they not been thrown this amusement arcade lifeline: ten or so years free rein to fleece the abject, you lucky horrible lot: no skill, no interpretation, no view, no intelligence – 35/1 a 36/1 chance

If there’s anyone out there who’d care to make a book on their estimated chances of an event occurring and open a shop in order to take wagers from others who might take another opinion, I’m sure they’d do decent business

Oh for my Cyril Stein and odds-compilers of yore: you knew :wacko:

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.