The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Best punts, wins and losses

Home Forums Lounge Best punts, wins and losses

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 61

Alright ladies and gents,

Hope you’re all well and had nice weekends. This thread is about touches that you’ve had over the years and what you would class as your best and worst bets. I understand that people may fabricate but let’s be honest and tell when you’ve been most proud of a bet and what the bet was? Also, have you ever had moments of madness where discipline went out the window and your rent money disappeared?

Cheers and look forward to hearing people’s tales,

Sassoon

Participant
    • Total Posts 5920

A few losers i will never forget.

Golden Chieftan Midlands National – Backed it about 10 times at 20/1+. Still brings a tear to the eye thinking about it. Was sick as a pig for about a week 😥

Master Oats Welsh National – Backed at 40/1 to about 16’s. Race was abandoned and voided. Never backed him at Newbury either.

Participant
    • Total Posts 61

Alright botchy,

Hahaha that’s quality, sick as a pick looool. Can I ask what made you follow it so many times?

What about your finest punting moments? Doubles up, trebles up, placepot, jackpot etc??

Cheers,

Sass

Participant
    • Total Posts 2851

One for Arthur antepost for the National being my best bet. Must’ve backed it every week for three months.

Best not to dwell on the bad ones. Coronet in the Oaks was a little bit sore last year. Cliffs of Dover likewise in the derby to get nabbed on the line.

Participant
    • Total Posts 61

Nice going that middle, what first attracted you to the horse performance or breeding wise? Have you won any other big punts?

Also, do you play placepots and jackpots and have you ever won big one’s or been close?

Cheers,

Sass

Participant
    • Total Posts 5920

Can I ask what made you follow it so many times?

I remember it like yesterday.In the race previous i had my eye on another horse in the race so put 50p on it to watch the race live. Anyway Golden Chieftan looked like winning by two fences but fell. So it seemed to stick in my head.

When i saw him in the odds for the Uttoxeter race early that week i had a bet on him. Then i watched the race previous a few times and convinced myself it had a good chance of winning, so i had another bet, then another and it kept on going on like that. :yes:

Participant
    • Total Posts 1953

Cheltenham 1986; had a rotten first day, put my last cash on Bobsline in the 2 mile Champion Chase. Had seen most of races that year, was v confident. Buck House sears round the course in record time, Bobsline trailing behind. All the Irish around going berserk with joy, when I lamented my loss they said, “Didn’t you know? Bobsline had sore feet.” All noey gone, it seemed, + still almost 1 + 1/2 days to go
    And then Josh Gifford’s Whiskey eyes came from nowhere to steal 4th in the 3 mile handicap hurdle, which keep my placepot tickets alive. And they remained alive, so I collected over 2k, a lot of dough in those days.
    My luck was then rolling, I’d been betting Dawn Run all year, and the mare came through.
    Those were the days.

Participant
    • Total Posts 4833

A lower five figure lay liability that went spectacularly wrong on Diamond Harry in the 2010 Hennessey has been my biggest disaster so far. Couldn’t have had that scrawny gormless beast at any price that day. :scratch:

Chasing and spot laying at the same time. Oh dear. :bye:

Participant
    • Total Posts 6132

I can tell you my nearly tale Sass !!

Etched in my memory is 16th March 1989 !!

Four horses 50p each way Lucky 15

Direct NR Triumph Hurdle
    Yahoo 40/1 Gold Cup
    Dixton House 10/1 Ritz Club
    Observer Corps 66/1 Cathcart

As everyone knows that damned grey horse Dessie done me for nearly forty grand!! And no one will ever comvince me otherwise that Dessie heard the crowd and ran on when looking beat Grrrrrrrrrrrrr!!
    As I say etched in the memory 😥 😥

My best single punt would have to be a horse called Bay Of Islands which won the Northumberland Plate at 7/1.
    I saw it run at Newbury about two weeks before the Plate and thought it was both unlucky and not knocked about and was that convinced I backed it every day for the following fortnight at prices ranging from 20/1 down to 8/1. The bookies I used to go in used to see me coming in every day and say what price it was as I walked in the door!! I ended up with about two hundred quid each way on it!! God Bless Manny Bernsteins :good: :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 648

It’s an obvious one and not so much a ‘bad bet’ but like many I was on the Douvan, UDS, Faugheen, Annie fourfold in 2015. I’d placed the bet around Christmas time, £100 at 54/1.

Still get a sick feeling now just thinking about it!

Participant
    • Total Posts 525

Two notable losers which hit me hard at the time. Barton Bank falling at the last in the 1994 King George when way clear, just couldn’t believe it and Celtic Swing getting touched off by Pennekamp in the 2000 Guineas 1995.

Best result was a double Kauto Star at Haydock and Hardy Eustace at Ascot 2007. I thought they were both absolute certainties and for once I was right. I had a double that made nearly £3000 profit.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2851

What first attracted to me to One For Arthur? Well I had a small bet on him to win the Warwick race stepped up in trip for the first time after running on well in the Becher. At Warwick he jumped brilliantly and cruised around at the back of the field for three miles before effortlessly picking them off in front of him one by one.

The fact he hadn’t run that distance before but clearly relished it and that he’d already cleared the national fences made me think he was a national horse. Last years national thread had me mentioning him quite a lot.

Though I wasn’t the first person on that thread to mention the horse if i rememebr rightly.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9061

Sublimity 80/1 Ch H [and I was there…]
    Chief Dan George Ch Handicap [Ultima?] @ 20/1 but he was my favourite horse and I was there…
    Labaik 80/1 Supreme Novices [again I was there; had doubled up the bet, too, and all I was hoping for was for him to start]
    Downside; the day I wanted to do an ew accumulator on all of Fergal O’Briens horses but didn’t know how to do it in a way that I wouldn’t lose everything if one lost. As it was, one horse didn’t place, but the rest did, the last one, The Govaness winning at 40/1. I still have nightmares about it…
    Oh, and I fulfilled my lifelong ambition of backing a 100/1 winner when Edwulf won the other day.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2866

Christmas 2005 – Irish lucky 15 which included a 25/1 and 7/1 winner with Central House. The day when Roger Loughran mis-read the Winning Post. My mate had had a good bet on Moscow Flyer and the air turned blue from us both for different reasons. Only later when I got home slightly worse for wear did I realise how much that mistake had cost me. I’d just about forgot about it only for that advert to pop up on ITV racing just before the off on a frequent basis recently :wacko:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2044

Ah mate I was waiting for a Labaik punter to rear their head!

My best ever result (monetary wise) is also probably one of my most gutting as well. The Wednesday of Royal Ascot in 2015 I had a 50p multiple on all the races:

Dutch Connection in the Jersey (won 14/1)
    Acapulco in the Queen Mary (won 5/2)
    Free Eagle in the Prince of Wales (won 5/2)
    G M Hopkins in the Hunt Cup (won 8/1)
    Osaila in the Sandringham (won 13/2)

But Rizeena (7/1) finished 2nd to the resurgent Amazing Maria in the Duchess of Cambridge. I won 2K but it could have been much more.

As for the bet I’ve been most proud off that’s most definitely Sole Power at 125/1 in the Nunthorpe of 2010.

As for my most gutting result, that was Al Kazeem being downed in the 2013 Champion Stakes after getting on to win a fair amount at 16s only for him to be downed by Noble Mission.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2367

My favourite win was probably £450 on 00 Seven to win at Sandown at evens, went to the track to watch it and was stood on the inner just before the post, was great seeing the horse fly past us in first and go on to win. Me and my mate left after that race (think it was the first race of the day lol).

Worst probably Bobs Worth being the last leg of a £40 accumulator to return £2500 in the Gold Cup (the one Lord Windermere won) and just being utterly confused after the race.

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9061

I think we all were confused after that race Ben; trouble is I’ve been backing Lord Windermere ever since cause I kmow the day I don’t he’ll do it again. One of the weirdest GC’s ever…

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 45 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.