Barry George

Home Forums Lounge Barry George

This topic contains 10 replies, has 1 voice, and was last updated by  stevedvg 11 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1195

Barry George – convicted of killing Jill Dando – is up for review.

Personally, I’ve always had my doubts about the case.

Not just the weakness of the evidence, but because he just didn’t match the crime.

After the killing, the police thought it was the work of a professional hitman.

Does it really make sense that it could look "professional", but really be the work of some delusional fantasist with "a variety of personality disorders"?

And, that this nutjob could somehow avoid arrest for over a year?  

IMO, it doesn’t add up.

Any thoughts?

Steve

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3650

Steve, if they can’t lock up nut jobs for crimes that are too difficult to solve then what is the world coming too.

He should never have been convicted in the first place obviously.

betlarge
    betlarge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2655

Wasn’t he the bloke who named himself after Freddie Mercury’s real name?

If so, I’d say twenty years minimum.

Mike

Andrew Hughes
    Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 2011

Quite right Mike. It’s a deterrent.

Andrew Hughes
    Andrew Hughes
    • Total Posts 2011

I haven’t followed this case very much but I did hear yesterday that the only forensic evidence was a microscopic fragment of something that might have been gunpowder. And that the judge warned the jury to ‘proceed with extreme caution’.

Sounds a little precarious to me.

Friggo
    • Total Posts 1616

The way I heard it was that fibres found on his person matched those of the murder weapon. As much as that is the only piece of solid evidence involved, I’d still say it’s quite hard to explain away.

And when the judge asked the jury to ‘proceed with caution’, that was likely to be because of the media frenzy that surrounded the case.

stevedvg
    • Total Posts 1195

I read a book about the case.

Although the author was trying to prove that George did it, he mentioned that the way the jacket was handled was contrary to the rules and could have caused contamination.

e.g. they took the jacket out and photographed it where there was firearm residue.

Steve

dave jay
    • Total Posts 3650

I have also read/watched quite a bit about the case and the accused couldn’t hardly string a sentence together never mind plan and execute a murder.

That evidence should never have been allowed.

Pompete
    Pompete
    • Total Posts 2513

One of my mates did a lot a work in and around the Fulham area prior to Dando’s murder. The fact that Barry George is a ‘nutjob’ is without question. He used to ride down the Fulham road on a pushbike with a blowup doll on his back to give one example!

However, it is also without question that the soundness of this conviction was questioned from day one. A number of books have been written on the subject and the producers of the prodigious and award winning Rough Justice took up his case which led to his first appeal, an act they would not undertake lightly.

Equally however, as I understand it (I’m not a lawer and am happy to be corrected) the purpose of an appeal is not to re-establish a person’s innocents or guilt given the original evidence, that was the role of jury. But, rather to establish whether a) the law has been applied correctly i.e. the jury where not mislead or b) to examine new evidence which on the basis of sound reasoning may have led the jury to reach a different verdict.

Therefore, if the reports are correct that this new appeal has been granted based on the unreasonable strenght given to the gunpowder forensic evidence this will be judged against the judge’s summing up statement ‘proceed with extreme cautious’. In the case of a jury trial it has to be believed they (the jury) did as was instructed by the court. Therefore, the judge’s words stemming from his clear concern of the strenght of evidence may be the very thing that keeps Barry George in prison for a long time to come.

Personally, I don’t believe he did it for much the same reasons as Stevedgd stated.   <br>

non vintage
    non vintage
    • Total Posts 1315

I know quite a lot about this so can’t go into any depth, but I would say that whilst I think he probably did do it, he probably should not have been convicted…

Sailing Shoes
    • Total Posts 409

Quote: from non vintage on 2:03 pm on June 22, 2007[br]I know quite a lot about this so can’t go into any depth, but I would say that whilst I think he probably did do it, he probably should not have been convicted…

<br>???

You know quite a lot about it – and therefore cannot go into depth?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.