ATR Stable Stars 2017-18 competition

Home Forums Racing Competitions ATR Stable Stars 2017-18 competition

This topic contains 244 replies, has 17 voices, and was last updated by BigG BigG 1 day, 11 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 245 total)
  • Author
    BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3581

What can I say Jac, that was STUNNING :good: :yahoo: . That has catapulted you
    up the table, superb tipping. You see, I knew you were always a closet NH fan :good:

I decided I’d have to take a few risks if I were to get myself moving up the table,
    but it turned out a bit of a disaster :wacko: I maybe should have taken Invitation
    only, but decided to leave him out and go for higher points scoring races. Ah well,
    serves me right but at least I have Acapella Bourgeois tomorrow.

I hope you managed to get some of that money out of the bookies satchel :good:

Tonge
    Tonge
    Participant
    • Total Posts 551

Good stuff Triptych. I also had William Henry. Sadly starred the other Henderson horse in the race but still happy enough, especially after my dismal showing last week. Glad I kept faith & left Milansbar in too, though not enough to star (or, indeed, back him). Townshend tomorrow at Fairyhouse

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3581

Nice double there Tonge :good: You must have been sweating a bit with William Henry,
    but you could have put your feet up watching Milansbar, he was the winner from
    some way out :yahoo:

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6230

Thanks Graham and Tonge..I wasn’t brave enough to put my star on William Henry after throwing it away last weekend on a non runner so unlike Graham I played it safe and went for any points I could muster, thankfully it paid off.

Really enjoyed the racing yesterday although I didn’t collect a single penny on three of them I only backed Waiting Patiently and was really pleased with his run.

Well done with Milansbar Tonge, I think Bryony Frost could win the Grand National on him, what a jockey she is, she makes every fence look effortless and let’s the horse flow freely into each jump a real professional. :good:

Will be cheering Acapalla on for you this afternoon Graham, I think greens horse is not running, that’s just what happened to Waiting Patiently last week..so annoying but still doing really well green..keep them coming. :good:

Not sure where we are as a League, surely we must be in the 30 something position now, will look out for your update Graham….Jac :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3581

We were 44th before the current week Jac, but we’ve actually slipped to 48th. We had some
    big scorers over the weekend, you were top of the tree with 130 points :good: and both
    Catherine Tonge and Graham Black did a good deal on 80 points to boost our tally along
    with a good few decent scorers, but I’m sorry to say that quite a few (myself included)
    missed the target by some way. We’ll have better weeks as a League I’m sure, but I have
    to say that it’s disappointing that there are some who haven’t as yet made a transfer.
    Not a lot I can do about that. As I said before, the competition is an ATR competition.
    Anyone, not being a TRF member, can read the forum and enter the League with the access
    number. All I can say is that on checking one Stable, they are entered in 7 Leagues and
    haven’t made a transfer in any yet. I just don’t get that :unsure: If it were like the
    past 2 years I couldn’t give a hoot, it’s up to them, but with the introduction of the League
    of Leagues this year it makes a difference. I want TRF to do as well as we can, whether we
    were to win or not is irrelevant, but to some extent we are playing with a handicap. I have
    to point out it is not the bulk of the League, the majority are trying their very best, but
    I feel obliged to say we are being let down a little by some. I’m not sure how many read the
    thread, but if any that maybe have lost heart a bit read this, then come on guys give it your
    best and see if we can get to where we should be in the League :good:

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6230

Totally agree Graham but it seems we are just too big a League to make a noise within the LOL table.

Nothing can happen this year but perhaps next time ATR might consider stopping players just joining any League after the play has commenced they should be locked in on their first choices of League. Also for those that have found that they cannot continue to take part or who have just lost interest there should be a Close My Stable option which would automatically kick in after 3 weeks of not making a transfer or can be activated manually at any time.

What I also don’t understand is why we can’t view everyone’s selections..what’s so secret you can’t view the choices until after 11pm in Friday so it’s not that they will be copied and I’m happy to share my thoughts with the team. :yes:

It might be interesting if maybe we could get an Elite TRF League up and running next year with just 20 members maximum and that ATR stop transfers in after the first week of play.

Does that all sound too much, I just think with all the hard work you put into this Graham and for those of us that play the game to the Leagues best advantage each week it is a fair way to run the TRF League for those players that are working hard to gain points.

Rant over..LOL but it still needs major tweeking…
    Jac :rose:

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 133

Don’t worry Triptych I have discussed with BigG about maybe tweaking the rules about LOL for next year to make it fairer. :good:

As regards to seeing other people’s entries I think that’s up to the individual whether they want this. :yes:

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3581

A lot of valid points in there Jac, I had a similar conversation with Mike about this.
    It’s a difficult one, in general I’m not in favour of interfering, it’s a competition
    open for all and I wouldn’t want the fun taken out of it. There may be legitimate reasons
    why someone misses a few weeks…..illness for one, but I think it could be considered
    by ATR that when there are static Stables for a lengthy period of time entered in a League,
    then there might be a “wake up” message sent asking if they wished to continue. If there is
    no response within a reasonable period of time, then they might be warned that the Stable
    will be removed. This would apply to Leagues only, as individual Stables not in a League
    would not affect anyone else.

Last year when I spoke with Mathew Taylor about introducing a leagues competition, he said
    it was something he would consider, he just wasn’t sure what the fairest way would be to
    score the competition with leagues of varying sizes. The option he mentioned to me at that
    time, was perhaps taking the top scoring 10 in each league and totting up the points to take
    the average of the 10. Had he chosen to go that way this year, we would be 5th with an average
    of 981.9. WE would be happy on that front, but I can see the counter arguement, some may say
    if you have a larger league that you are “cherry picking”. If it’s not to be the top 10, then I
    think it would be fair to have a % cut off point, perhaps the top 50% in larger leagues of
    say 30 or 40 onwards, by that method it would perhaps eliminate the problem of trying to remove
    dormant Stables.

I don’t want to crush the spirit of the competition, but I think TRF members are proud of being
    in the best racing forum and want to see it given the opportunity to show it has many good judges
    of horse racing. I’ll certainly give some feedback to Mathew at the end of this competition, by
    his comments to me he has looked into our forum, he emailed at the end of last year’s competition
    “I followed the progress of the TRF mini-league and it was great that you maintained such enthusiasm
    right through to the end!” Perhaps, if he’s looking in, he may think we have some valid points. On
    the other hand, he might tell me to sling my hook :wacko:

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17687

I’ve had less trouble in logging in and doing the transfers this year BigG, so a positive to the ATR team on that front.
    My stable is very confusing at the moment though, I don’t know if you can look into mine but my stable horses are showing up as multiple entrants when I go into it.
    Agree the league of leagues suits smaller leagues with every member committed to the job, we are at a disadvantage in that regard and like you say a top ten average could be counter argued.
    I’m enjoying the challenge and putting in my transfers each week, your link on the 1st page is a perfect place to log in from.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 133

I think, as discussed with BigG, having a minimum of 10 entries in a league of leagues is fairer, and taking the top scoring 10 in each league and totting up the points to take the average of the 10 is fair also. It means bigger leagues aren’t penalised for the few in their respective league who, shall we say, ‘give up’ or ‘forget’.

Seems perfectly reasonable to me. :good:

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3581

I think you’re right Nathan, they have ironed out some gremlins from last year, I think
    we were all wondering if our Stables had crashed at one point. I agree that the smaller,
    all committed leagues, have the upper hand. All we can do is keep plugging away, you’ve
    certainly made good moves recently up the league, well done :good:

I’ve had a look at your Stable Nathan, something is very wrong there. You should only have 2
    Elite Horses and 10 Main Horses. For some strange reason you have 8 Elite and 30 Main horses
    in your stable. You need to click on the “Give Feedback” button at the bottom of the page
    and let them know your stable has gone haywire, they should be able to reset it to where it should
    be. They will know all your transfers and who should be in there. Let me know if there are any
    problems after that. Good luck :good:

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6230

Lots of good points especially the last point about minimum 10 entries… we are all so passionate about our TRF League and the whole competition is such an improvement on last year in so many ways and mainly down to Graham and his many conversations and emails with Matthew Taylor.
    The idea about a message from ATR to dormant stables might also be a good idea.

I do think people genuinely join meaning to compete weekly but as happens in all competitions with a deadline if you miss a couple for some reason the interest can wain a bit, I know I have to keep reminding myself of the deadline every Friday night, as I always leave it to the last minute, and often find myself pouring over the races at 10.50pm with one eye on the clock trying to remember to Select/Confirm, Select/Confirm, Select/Confirm..Move star.Update :scratch:

I’m not that bothered about seeing everyone’s stable Mike but sometimes, as in my case, Graham might notice that I haven’t moved my star and remind me on here before the deadline that’s why I personally like it that way as we can sometimes help each other, but of course respect those who wish to remain private. :good:

Really getting into the 3 transfers now and that is certainly going to be useful getting ready for Cheltenham and the big bonus races.

The main thing is that we are enjoying ourselves and getting our heads round finding a few winners.

Good luck to everyone next week . :heart: Jac

Triptych
    Triptych
    Participant
    • Total Posts 6230

Good luck getting your stable sorted Nathan, its definitely not right, but it seems to be working with the transfers. As Graham said the Give Feedback option is really helpful. :good:

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17687

Shame I don’t get multiple points, with all them in my stable
    No coincidence the leading teams in the league of leagues have only 5 in their league

I thought this was a fine effort mind you

64th – Final Furlong Podcast – 1498 members

Good luck to their chairman….. :whistle:

I hear they are putting in a transfer bid to sign up BigG to manage them next year

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 844

Maybe next year you could avoid posting the access code on the open forum and just put a post up stating that the code will be PM’d to anyone who asks who
    – was in the comp this year and put the effort in (doesn’t matter if they missed the odd deadline a week or two or their choices were unlucky and they didn’t score highly, just that they showed willing and kept on running to the line), and/or
    – anyone who has participated reasonably consistently in any of the TRF internal comps eg Pick 3 to Win (bar TTF which just requires one lump of effort at the start then it’s only poor VtC who has to go the distance)

That would be a bit hard on any keen newbies who have just joined at the time of the start of ATR stable stars and haven’t had a chance yet to participate in any internal comps, but at least it might weed out anyone who just wants a lash at the individual prize money and is likely to give up quickly if they’re not amongst the leaders early on.

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 245 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.