Absolutely Unbelievable!

Home Forums Lounge Absolutely Unbelievable!

This topic contains 13 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  yeats 3 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

Over 54 thousand registered members of this forum. Is there a list of all the members somewhere?

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17003

About 52,000 of those are spammers

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 480

Right now there are 14 members online and 324 guests/bots/spammers. What is the purpose of these hidden anonymous people, Nathan, is it just to monitor the successful tipsters on here, to benefit (as a bookie or punter) from shrewd opinions posted? Or is it something more sinister? Are they reading this and writing my name in a little black book? Or am I being paranoid lol 🙂

Kentucky Spring
    Kentucky Spring
    Participant
    • Total Posts 333

Right now there are 14 members online and 324 guests/bots/spammers. What is the purpose of these hidden anonymous people, Nathan, is it just to monitor the successful tipsters on here, to benefit (as a bookie or punter) from shrewd opinions posted? Or is it something more sinister? Are they reading this and writing my name in a little black book? Or am I being paranoid lol 🙂

I am often Registered as a Guest, ’cause login takes time and is only needed if one wants to post…

Best Wishes
    Silk

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17003

Guest are people viewing that are not logged in.
    What [BOTS] are or there purposes I do not know
    perhaps admin could answer that one

Matron
    Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5229

You can read about “bots” here Nathan:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_bot

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17003

Thanks Matron
    Most of that went right over my head

Drone
    Drone
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5026

Most forums have far, far more registered members than active members and with few exceptions active members come and go after a relatively short time, or at least become less active, and are replaced by new correspondents who come and go…ad infinitum

The number of TRF members has steadily increased year-on-year which suggests the current 54,000 is the cumulative number who’ve registered since the forum was born; the large majority of whom must have long-ceased reading the forum let alone contributing

Furthermore, there doesn’t appear to be an unsubscribe button on the site, so once you’ve registered you’re here for all eternity, unless you make the effort to request unsubscription from Admin presumably, which I doubt many would bother to do anyway

There used to be a list of members available to view, but this disappeared after one of the revamps

I do as Kentucky Spring does: only logging in when wanting to post, and if I forget to logout this happens automatically after a few days, after which I’m registered as a Guest reading the forum

I daresay that amongst the 54K there’s a number seeking a free lunch, but who cares: we all love the sound of our own voices and the look of our own prose don’t we? :good:

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17003

Of the 54k I reckon Grahame the Donkey must have about 9 of them. Latest being Muggins_here unless there is another creation

I used to like the membership list, it was an easy guide to remember who ginge had come to blows with
    now I just keep a list of those he hasn’t………… :scratch:

Also profile stats of when a member had last logged in.

GoldenMiller34
    GoldenMiller34
    Participant
    • Total Posts 480

I was just a bit concerned about bots is all folks. Most of the spiel about bots on Wiki details how they are used for malicious purposes and mentions forums. This site does not show as https or secure in my web address box. I’m permanently logged in on a laptop and when I see, about once a fortnight, I’ve been automatically logged out I’m back quicker than a rat up a drainpipe. Still, nothing adverse has occurred in almost a year of being a member and we all know the biggest danger at large is the Maybot!

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

Has anyone noticed there is often more than one LostSoldier3 listed as a user online? There are two of them down there now, of course this may apply to other users. I think I’ve even seen 3 or 4 listed in the past :scratch:

Matron
    Matron
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5229

@yeats

May have not logged-out before leaving home and then logs-in from internet Café, work, etc.

LostSoldier3
    LostSoldier3
    Participant
    • Total Posts 962

Yeah, that might make sense. Sometimes leave my laptop logged-in at home, log-in on my phone on the train and then use the forum at work too.

I’m a triple threat, y-dog!

yeats
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2728

Yeah, that might make sense. Sometimes leave my laptop logged-in at home, log-in on my phone on the train and then use the forum at work too.

I’m a triple threat, y-dog!

There’s no escape! LostSoldier3’s everywhere :wacko:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.