The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2yo Summary Thread 2014

Home Forums Archive Topics Trends, Research And Notebooks 2yo Summary Thread 2014

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 200 total)
  • Author
    darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7621

What 2ys you been impressed with so far which ones should we look out for too my unraced horses below.Also from a 2000 guineas not seen a horse that i say that win at Newmarket. also i think the best 2yos from Ballydoyle not been out yet.

SIR ISAAC NEWTON
    JOHN F KENNEDY
    FIELDS OF ATHNERY
    HALL OF FAME

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4796

It’s actually The Fields Of Athenry, one of my favourite songs.

I think everyone knows Aidan O’Brien has a stable full of blue bloods. Realistically, how can you expect anyone to be able to select one from another with any degree of certainty. You might just as well put them all in a hat and draw one out. Even those within the set up will not know for sure. The Great War had actually won two races and turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments of Royal Ascot week.

Aside from the Royal Ascot 2yo’s the two most impressive winners are probably the fillies, Beach Belle and Queen Nefertiti.

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7621

I think everyone knows Aidan O’Brien has a stable full of blue bloods. Realistically, how can you expect anyone to be able to select one from another with any degree of certainty. You might just as well put them all in a hat and draw one out. Even those within the set up will not know for sure. The Great War had actually won two races and turned out to be one of the biggest disappointments of Royal Ascot week.

Aside from the Royal Ascot 2yo’s the two most impressive winners are probably the fillies, Beach Belle and Queen Nefertiti.

Do you think Beach Belle could stay a 1m i like her too.

Also i myself like looking at unraced horses it is hard i backed CAMELOT and AUSTRALIA before they debut.But also was on AMEN for derby who made debut at 3 at dundalk was sold to Gary Moore for hurdling.It is nice following horses who not run yet i know BOZ would do it too not seen him in ages hope he is ok.

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

I saw Queen Nefertiti and she did it very well. She looks a nice type who should progress. All the money that night was for her stable companion Curlylocks but she could only finish third.

There was a full brother to Queen Nefertiti called Illinois who won last season on his debut but almost a year on he hasn’t been seen. I assume there was a problem with that horse.

I can’t say I would go ante-post on a Wachman trained horse for the classics but each to their own.

John Gosden’s Richard Pankhurst left his debut run well behind and shot Dick Whittington down in flames. It might be worth keeping an eye on him and the horse who won the maiden they ran in on their debuts. That horse is Peacock and Richard Hannon trains him for The Queen and he’s a son of Hannon’s good horse Paco Boy.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Ugly Mare
    • Total Posts 1294

High Celebrity…trained by Andre Fabre…. winner of a 7f maiden unraced filles the other day…

…I expect she will be bought by..and probably ruined by…you know who… before too long…

… see what you think..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=poNvuOj-wVk

…I should add that the time for this race was over a second faster than the colts equivalent earlier…

Participant
    • Total Posts 617

Some "girls" to keep an eye on…

Albany Stakes winner

Cursory Glance

impressed and is now 2 wins from 2 having won her Maiden cosily at Kempton on the AW. It will be interesting to see where they go next with her – she currently holds an entry for the Moyglare Stakes in September.

Parsley

impressed me in her Maiden second time out, narrowly beaten in her first. Stable mate Step To The Shears was 3rd in Parsley’s win and then won next time out.

Bazanna

bolted up on Soft at Windsor winning by 10 lengths then was 13th in the Albany but I think that the going was too quick for her that day. One for the notebook in softer conditions.

Likely

had them spread out like the washing at Carlisle in her Maiden win and Lady Desire who was 15¼ lengths back in 4th that day won comfortably next time out. Likely also holds a Moyglare entry.

As for the "boys"…

Baitha Alga

is an obvious one I think, having just won the Norfolk Stakes.

Fuwairt

might be worth a second chance, again like Bazanna above might not have been suited to faster going considering his Maiden was won on Soft.

William Haggas is more known for his success with fillies but might have a nice colt in

Adaay

who won his Maiden followed up by a Novice Stakes and was then 3¼ lengths 8th behind The Wow Signal in the Coventry Stakes.

Doc Charm

was 9 lengths 2nd to The Wow Signal in his Maiden race but then bolted up winning by 6 lengths next time out. Admittedly only a 5 runner affair on Soft but worth watching next time out I think.

Ivawood

won well on debut at Sandown, 4th in that race 8 lengths back was Squats who won next time out.

On the same card as Ivawood, stable mate

Tupi

won in a way that suggests he could be very useful. His dam’s sire is Rakti who won the Italian Derby (12f), the Prince of Wales’s Stakes (10f) and the Queen Elizabeth II Stakes (8f).

Hannon again with

Smaih

, he skipped Maidens and went straight to Novice Stakes racing and won very cosily at Chepstow by 3 lengths. 3rd that day was Union Rose who followed home Hootenanny in the Windsor Castle Stakes.

Sixty

had a bad draw in his first race but ran well to finish 2nd behind Jungle Cat (3rd in the Coventry Stakes). He then won a Class 2 Maiden at Salisbury, pushed out nicely.

I reckon there will be a few winners from the above list over the rest of this season. We will probably only know for sure if they are Guineas prospects after another run.

Sunspangled
    Participant
    • Total Posts 470

Illinois died soon after his debut

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

Shame about Illinois, I was quite impressed by his win and didn’t know he was no longer with us.

Anonymous
    Inactive
    • Total Posts 764

Ballymore Castle, didn’t handle Chester or Epsom and still looked superb in the finish at both, I expect big things from him.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4796

Do you think Beach Belle could stay a 1m i like her too.

It’s very difficult to say. She seems to settle pretty well so 7f shouldn’t be too much of a problem. The dam stayed beyond a mile but she has already produced a useful sprinter to Oasis Dream. Without any obvious pointers I would lean towards an Invincible Spirit over 7f rather than a 1m. As for Beach Belle I hope she might be a little better than her last win as it was a muddling race and she hadn’t run for several weeks. Newsletter has given the race a little boost.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Peacock is the 2 year old that I’m most interested in his form was boosted with Richard Pankhurst winning the Chesham. Hannon has already said Peacock already needs further then the 6f he ran on debut.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

Andre Fabre had a winner in the opener at Chantilly today who is bred for the game.

Al Namaah cost 5 million Guineas and is a full sister to Oaks winner Was. Today’s race was over 7f and it is obviously encouraging that she could win first time up. By the "king" of sires Galileo, she was sent off evs fav today, with the next in the betting 5/4, so obviously she was not expected to have it all her own way.

I didn’t see the race but was told she "hosed in"

An exciting prospect surely?

ps Entered into the 1000 G betting at 25/1

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

Here are the closing stages from Al Namaah’s debut win today.

The owners tweeted:-

"Al Shaqab quickly tweeted: "Winner!! Al Naamah is so impressive on her debut at Chantilly this afternoon! Andre has a very big smile on his face!""

Harry Herbert stated:-

“She did it very easily, she wouldn’t blow a candle out,” said Sheikh Joaan’s racing advisor Harry Herbert.

“Andre [Fabre, trainer] likes her a lot and she has shown today that she could be very special. She is a beautiful specimen with a fantastic pedigree and she has her whole racing career ahead of her.”

Stilvi said:-

"Two-horse race. Strictly speaking the second comes out the better horse as she was conceding six pounds. She had previously won very easily on soft ground but the ground was much quicker today."

Steve Caution said:-

The winner is bred to be good and it is encouraging that she could win first time up over 7f and on quick ground. It is noticeable in the closing stages how much bigger the winner is than the runner up and I’d be willing to wager that she will confirm the form with the runner up off level weights.

Judge for yourselves folks:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rvJAm2XpPY

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Andre Fabre had a winner in the opener at Chantilly today who is bred for the game.

Al Namaah cost 5 million Guineas and is a full sister to Oaks winner Was. Today’s race was over 7f and it is obviously encouraging that she could win first time up. By the "king" of sires Galileo, she was sent off evs fav today, with the next in the betting 5/4, so obviously she was not expected to have it all her own way.

Do you think she will run in the Marcel Boussac, Steve?

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

Do you think she will run in the Marcel Boussac, Steve?

Harry Herbert says that the plan is one more race before the main target which is the Prix Marcel Boussac. They have stated that she could have started in a maiden but they decided to start a bit higher up the ladder. The second horse won by seven lengths the time before, albeit on softer ground. She had to concede six pounds but I doubt anyone could seriously think that was the reason for her defeat after watching the manner of the win.

The betting was quite tight between the two horses, suggesting that it was possible Al Namaah might need the run. We all saw how Miss France improved on her second start at both two and three years of age.

Al Namaah is a horse with terrific physical scope and I think she will improve for a step up to a mile. She would be a guaranteed stayer in a Guineas where probably several of the top 2yo fillies will have that question to answer on the day.

A lot to like about her and although she will be under the radar for a while yet, we should hear more in time.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Thanks Steve, when I saw the replay I thought Marcel Boussac could be the target so have just had a bet at 7/1 with racebets on the below.

Al Naamah to win a European Group 1 race in 2014 Possible Races: Marcel Boussac, Cheveley Park, Fillies’ Mile

Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

I reckon 7/1 is an OK bet Nathan. If she wins her next race well and lines up at Longchamp I doubt she will be 7/1.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 200 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.