Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cookie - headers already sent by (output started at /var/sites/t/theracingforum.co.uk/public_html/index.php:7) in /var/sites/t/theracingforum.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bbp-topic-views/bbp-topic-views.php on line 76

Warning: session_start() [function.session-start]: Cannot send session cache limiter - headers already sent (output started at /var/sites/t/theracingforum.co.uk/public_html/index.php:7) in /var/sites/t/theracingforum.co.uk/public_html/wp-content/plugins/bbp-topic-views/bbp-topic-views.php on line 76
 2019 Grand National – theracingforum.co.uk

2019 Grand National

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2019 Grand National

This topic contains 16 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Lemons68 Lemons68 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13019

Long way off obviously, but might as well get cracking.

I’ll concentrate, at this stage anyway, on horses who haven’t ran it before.

The Topham was won in style once again by Ultragold, and right now, I could see them trying to do an “Always Waining” with him, and I can see them also keeping Shanahans Turn on a similar path. Nothing else from the race really jumped out at me for The National, as it looks a big ask “tripwise” for Theatre Territory, and I can see the Waley-Cohens concentrating on Impulsive Star for The National.

I don’t automatically look to Warren Greatrex for staying chasers, but in Missed Approach, he clearly knows what he’s doing, producing it for the big stage, two years running. First going close in The National Hunt Chase last season to Tiger Roll, before seeing off two Irish Hotpots in The Kim Muir this time around. Impressive, and I’ve taken note. It’ll be interesting to see how he fares the rest of the season, with Ayr and Sandown entries, as he’s on a perfect mark at the moment. Very high on my shortlist.

Mall Dini was one of those hotpots beaten by Missed Approach, and his Topham entry suggests that they’re happy to take on The National Fences. It wouldn’t surprise me at all to see his season geared around Cheltenham again, and crucially, that should mean he’ll likely be on a mark, at around the time the weights are framed anyway, which will see him competitive for this.

Mall Dini wouldn’t be the only Irish Raider to be on the radar, as after this years domination, it obviously makes sense to look at other candidates who could cross The Irish Sea.

It’s unlikely that General Principle will get the ground here, which he won The Irish National on, but he’s another who could come here on a nice mark, and with stamina now assured, he is shortlist material for me, and we should hopefully get a look at him at Punchestown. Another Gigginstown horse we may not have seen the best of, is Sutton Manor, who came unstuck in the mud, but I think he’s worth another try, and I’d certainly forgive Monbeg Notorious his Fairyouse flop. The one I really haven’t forgotten about is Kerry National hero, Potters Point, and it would be good to see him back out at Punchestown as well, and the the horse he edged out at Listowel, Arkwrisht, shaped well in The Irish National.

I’ll be very interested to see what kind of improvement Willie Mullins can squeeze out of Pairofbrowneyes, and I’d love to see him here, I don’t think the trip would be an issue, and stablemate Invitation Only, who I think could be ideal round here, will surely be considered, as Wylie likes a runner in this. He looks a more likely one than Bellshill at this stage, as Bellshill will surely have The Gold Cup as his primary target.

Obviously a lot of focus on Elliot/Mullins runners, and they could also target Fagan and Rathvinden, who both run in the colours of Ronnie Bartlett. Away from the big two, I haven’t given up on Vieux Morvan, from the Joseph O’Brien stable.

Last word on the Irish Challenge for now, and it goes to the Ted Walsh trained, and JP owned, Any Second Now. I’m convinced he’ll improve for a step up in trip, and even at this early stage, he’s very high on the list for me.

Another JP horse who might come into this is No Comment, and Philip Hobbs surely can’t have as bad a season next time around.

This time last year I was enthusing about Sizing Codelco, but he’s had a rough old season, shaping as if amiss. I seen a glimmer of improvement in The Bowl though, and if they can get him back to his best, he could be nicely weighted. From the same connections, I’m also keeping a close eye on Sizing Tennessee, and I can see him going the “Hennessy” route.

Vintage Clouds was very unlucky not to sneak into this years line up, and he may be doing well to get his ground again, but he remains one to consider.

The Scottish Grand National, and The Bet365 Gold Cup, are likely to throw up a few clues, and I think Daklondike could be Aintree bound next season, and I’m hopeful of a good run at Ayr, and no surprise to see the Nigel Twiston-Davies trained Ballyoptic come into the reckoning as well. Baywing and Big River would have to be potential candidates as well.

Not the best season for Jonjo, but I’m hoping they can get Go Conquer down a pound or two, and another obvious one owned by The Rooneys could be the Fergal O’Brien trained Master Dee.

It’s obviously early doors, and these are just a few initial thoughts, but this is the early shortlist anyway, and Missed Approach would be my #1 at this point.

Missed Approach
    General Principle
    Any Second Now
    Mall Dini

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 7607

Ms Parfois [sp] pour moi….

KevMcAlley
    KevMcAlley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 307

Rathvinden the one that sticks out for me at this incredibly early stage. Ms Parfois already advertised the form nicely during the week.

Monbeg Notorious would be interesting also but think he’s a soft ground lover, as is Ms Parfois herself. She’s my Welsh Nash winner.

Sizing Codelco improved massively for the nice ground last year, think his struggles might be ground related as much as anything VTC?

Missed Approach a decent shout, run style and stamina would suit for sure.

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1603

Baywing, One For Arthur and Ms Parfois would be my three to keep an eye on at this early stage.

Degaussed
    Degaussed
    Participant
    • Total Posts 419

I’ve felt for a long, long time Ms Parfois is a Welsh National winner. Can’t see her winning the big one itself unless the ground comes up very soft.

Elegant Escape looks a future National winner. Shapes like the trip wouldn’t be a problem for him, his jumping is generally sound and he’s a big, lengthy type who might love the fences.

Daryl Jacob mentioned the National for Terrefort. Would next season be too soon for him as a 6yo?

There’s 50s available for Minella Rocco. He was born to win a National, and on good ground would have a massive shout.

• This reply was modified 1 week, 3 days ago by Degaussed Degaussed.

gman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 25

Tiger Roll as short as 25/1 for Gold Cup now although still 100 in some places. Congratulations all who were on. And congratulations ginger tipster on taking the L with grace 😉

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13019

@kevmcalley
    Yeah, maybe just the ground for Codelco, and if that is the case, we have a well handicapped horse on our hands. Just a couple of times this year he didn’t look quite right, but even with improved performance in The Bowl, I wasn’t convinced with how he shaped. The Camera Angle they use on ITV as they go past the stands, there was a decent shot of him, and he just looked to me as if something was bothering him (other than having to try and keep up with Might Bite lol)

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13019

@degaussed
    Terrefort was awesome the other day, but he’ll definitely be too young for it next year. He’s got some potential, and no surprise to see him line up in The Gold Cup, he certainly looked good enough.

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1931

Folsom Blue for me if he heads that route. :unsure:

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4245

I got 3 for this race one is ELEGANT ESCAPE agree with Degussed said about him looks a stayer to keep a eye on

AUGUSTIN Who is trained by Mullins but to look like a horse who wants further than 3m he raced at so far not had many starts over fences and can take a big staying handicap next year

And other is trained by Rebecca Curtis won at Hereford other week GEORDIE DES CHAMPS won a novice hurdle at Aintree though did dissapoint over fences there.He improved more now should be up to big staying races next season

darren83
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4245

And if a horse could do a PLEASANT COMPANY in that run well but fall and go close 12months later for me that one is ALPHA DES OBEAUX was jumping well and going really to before fall no reason why this not be target next year.

peter .h
    peter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 954

Watch them withdraw and retire Tiger Roll when he gets top weight! 😉

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13019

I wouldn’t actually argue with Peter, he deserves the pipe and slippers lol

viktors89
    viktors89
    Participant
    • Total Posts 208

I wouldn’t mind being on the Dutchman again if owners decide to go for another crack at the National, he was going sweetly with Tiger Roll the whole way and I’m sure he would have been at least fighting for 3rd place.

Mrs Parfois as already advertised is interesting and so is Baywing.

For Gigginstown team… Folsom Blue anyone?

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5223

Missed Approach . Nap

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.