2019 Gold Cup

Home Forums Cheltenham 2019 2019 Gold Cup

This topic contains 24 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  Mike007 1 day, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1314

I think you need to factor in the injury risk with the age CNC. Coneygree’s legs were never going to improve with time- they were still in one piece as a novice- and big Thistlecrack’s exuberant jumping style over 3 miles’ worth of fences took its toll on his pins too.

No better man than NJH for minding horses for big races and being picky about ground etc, and Might Bite has been sound up till now, but he is big, bold and will be (relatively) old next year…not a good combo. Mind you I am one of the camp who think he would have won on better ground this year and if he reaches the starter in March must have a great chance. It’s getting there that’s the thing.

Cheltenham Novice Chase
    Participant
    • Total Posts 134

I think you definitely have a point about age and injury. However, I wonder whether the number of races rather than age is more relevant though. I’m not sure. Might Bite is relatively lightly raced and so far seems to have avoided any major injury which bodes well. I also like how quickly he was able to rebound at Aintree after a tough race at Cheltenham. This is also quite reassuring.

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4549

@jackh

Personally would be very surprised to see Great Field going any further than 2 miles…..mad horse and very hard to contain..

He’s certainly got a mind of his own Jack, there’s no doubting that. I don’t agree about the 2 miles though,
    he waltzed round Thurles over 2m2f over a year back in March on yielding ground, and looked like he could
    have gone round again. Admittedly he didn’t have a lot to beat, but he wasn’t hanging about, that’s not his
    style. Personally I think he would benefit from the extra distance, and although I reckon the Ryanair is
    more likely for him if he goes up in trip, if Willie gives him a crack at further and he takes it all in his
    stride, I wouldn’t rule him out just yet. He may be a bit “mad” as you say, but barring being pulled up in one race, he’s won the other 6 still on the bridle. He’s an exciting horse and I think he’s top notch :good:

Nausered
    Participant
    • Total Posts 369

Dingo Dollar @ 125-1, £50 to win.

TheKryptonFactor
    TheKryptonFactor
    Participant
    • Total Posts 219

I’ve already backed Faugheen E/W at 66/1 for the Gold Cup. My rationale is that, if he goes over fences as connections hinted he might, they won’t bother with the RSA given his age. Might as well go for the ultimate glory particularly if this his last season. Obviously he’s completely unknown over fences and his chances of staying the trip aren’t fantastic. However, if Mullins even faintly considers turning up here (and he does more than his fair share of that) he won’t be 66/1 at all.

More confidently, I will back Step Back at 66’s before he runs at Chepstow tomorrow. He won that Whitbread/Bet365 Gold Cup on only his 4th chase start and, as a novice hurdler, was pitched in the Albert Bartlett on only his 2nd rules start. Rate the yard extremely highly and although his target is currently the National, connections may reconsider if he wins something like the Ladbrokes Gold Cup (for which he must be an extremely viable candidate). If 149 is the ceiling of his ability I’ll be absolutely stunned.

Santini is 50/1 with Bet365 but I’d imagine Henderson will go RSA, I’m already convinced he’ll win the 2020 race. Connections sounded surprised he was capable of winning any race last year given how backwards and immature he was believed to be. Handicapper has him at 152 for hurdles exploits so I’d be very disappointed if he didn’t become a mid 160’s horse at the very least.

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 908

He’s certainly got a mind of his own Jack, there’s no doubting that. I don’t agree about the 2 miles though,
    he waltzed round Thurles over 2m2f over a year back in March on yielding ground, and looked like he could
    have gone round again. Admittedly he didn’t have a lot to beat, but he wasn’t hanging about, that’s not his
    style. Personally I think he would benefit from the extra distance, and although I reckon the Ryanair is
    more likely for him if he goes up in trip, if Willie gives him a crack at further and he takes it all in his
    stride, I wouldn’t rule him out just yet. He may be a bit “mad” as you say, but barring being pulled up in one race, he’s won the other 6 still on the bridle. He’s an exciting horse and I think he’s top notch :good:

I suppose if you used UDS as an example, similar in run-style, he might well be suited to the trip on better ground. He probably only has one gear, and thats a high one like UDS….so i guess you never know!

Not something i thought about personally! :good:

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Cheltenham Novice Chase
    Participant
    • Total Posts 134

On Great Field @ 14-1 + Boost with William Hill in the ‘win any race’ market. I think he’s a quality horse but I agree with Jack in that I can’t seem him going for anything in excess of the Ryanair trip.

I wasn’t particularly impressed with him at Navan but to be fair to him that was his return race after 330 days out and it was on heavy ground.

Quality horse.

Lemons68
    Lemons68
    Participant
    • Total Posts 232

Krypton Factor, you’re not alone, I took that price for Step Back too, but I was a bit disappointed with that seasonal debut.

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 293

I would love to see Politologue turn into a Gold Cup Horse + it would be great to see him go to Haydock. I don’t think he will this season though.

I think Bellshill will be the horsevi side with.

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 467

Bellshill may be better right handed according to trainer.

We will see.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.