2018 Cross Country

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2018 2018 Cross Country

This topic contains 19 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by Venture to Cognac Venture to Cognac 6 months, 1 week ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13463

Or to give it it’s official title The Glenfarclas Chase.

This was won in convincing fashion last year by Cause of Causes, and it was enough for me to bet him at 10’s soon after, for this years renewal. I’m no stranger to putting him up here for Cheltenham, and as much as I’ll rarely put up a favourite, or bet at 10’s a week before a race, never mind a year before, he just looks nailed on for another big run en-route to Aintree. Without a doubt my favourite horse in training, and one of the most underrated horses of recent times.

Unfortunately, for me anyway, another big favourite could head here, and it’s his stablemate, Tiger Roll. Absolutely demolished 2 strong fields last season, here in The National Hunt Chase, and earlier in The Munster National. He just has to be going the Aintree route as well, and I’ve had a good go at 20’s, and he’s also my biggest bet of The Festival, to win any race at 12’s. He’s my main fancy for Aintree this year, and this tried and tested route for Elliot could be the plan. His run round here in December had “sighter” written all over it. I’ve said a few times since last year that he’ll be Elliots new “target” horse for Cheltenham, and after winning The Triumph a few years back, no surprise to see him equal the Festival Hat Trick of Cause of Causes.

Big quandry then for me, with both of them stablemates, and both potentially going here before Aintree. With those concerns, I’d love to see the pair of them split up. Tiger Roll, off of his current mark, would be a huge player in The Ultima, while although it’s a bit “leftfield”, I just wonder if the temptaion to win four different races at The Festival, might see them send Cause of Causes for The Coral Cup. Unlikely I know, but I’d love to see them take different routes, but if the do both trap here, it’ll be the mother of all exactas for me lol.

Not looking at anything else yet.

Cause of Causes 10’s
    Tiger Roll 20’s

charlie87
    charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 672

As I mentioned on another forum, if I were on COC I would definitely cover with Tiger Roll @ 10/1. I remember watching COC running in the XC trial at the January meeting 2017 and finishing 5/10. Codd dropped him out the back and it was an obvious schooling session with no real intention of winning the race (it was so obvious I was surprised it attracted as little attention as it did). It clearly worked and he won in March. Having watched Tiger Roll’s race in December back (where he finished 5/9) it was clear that Elliot and Donoghue employed the exact same tactics. Held up at the rear and never really asked to get involved. Tiger Roll is 2/3 at Festivals and had he won in December he would not be 10/1, so my suggestion to COC backers is take advantage of what looks like a clever tactful ride and cover whilst the price is still double figures when it shouldn’t be.

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2308

A year goes round quickly VTC? Back to the old what race does COC go for and what a conundrum with these two this year. :wacko:

If COC is going for the National again the Ultima would damage his chances, but still, not without a chance. He would of won easily last year if it was not for that bloody Arthur horse, doubt he will run into one like that again.

Your hurdles theory sounds possible, a little like your Cross Country theory last year :good:

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 253

Dare I say this can sometimes be a decent betting heat,looking back to 2005 there have been a few shocks.Ratings can go out the window,course form,both open and hidden,way forward for me.

Be very interested if the french horse Urgent De Gregaine gets an entry,couple decent runs around here already,get the feeling he has a little left in the tank,watching brief until entry stage.

KevMcAlley
    KevMcAlley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 516

Looking back at previous years isn’t accurate Flyers as it changed from a handicap to a conditions race in 2016.

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 253

Point taken Kev,you are correct…..the ratings bit hinted at that,but not clear from my post,fair play.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13463

Very unlikely I’d have more than two in this, and certainly happy to stick with this particular pair, but that was a very eyecatching run there from Hurricane Darwin.

Would only be adding if I got a price, but he surely gets an entry now.

bigslips
    bigslips
    Participant
    • Total Posts 37

D F O’Regan was stood down feeling unwell after his ride on Hurricane Darwin. I backed the horse and it was eye catching, the jockey never even looked like putting it in the race :wacko:

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13463

Yeah, my thoughts entirely Slip, and with the extended trip at Cheltenham, he really could be a player/danger here. Even if this isn’t the plan, I’d be looking at him wherever he rocks up.

Autumnal
    Participant
    • Total Posts 111

Cantlow 20-1 for me here to place, and Bless The Wings 12-1 win

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13463

@bigslips
    Hurricane Dariwn introduced by Bet365 at 10’s, but with the entry stage for this on Tuesday, if he gets an entry, he’ll surely be bigger than that then.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13463

It was always my intention here, to add Bless The Wings to the main two for a Trifecta, but that might seem a rather obvious one, and the returns might not be so good, so might just add another here after all.

It’s a big enough headache for me with Cause of Causes, and Tiger Roll in there, but that 25’s NRNB for Hurricane Darwin looks a smashing each way bet here, and I’m on the verge.

peter .h
    peter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 955

He might have a LOT to find on ratings, but I can think of worse EW shots at 50/1 than Harry The Viking. I think he’ll relish the test and will outstay most of these on the ground. He’s such a brill horse to follow, so what ever happens; it’ll just be cool to see him running at the Festival again!

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13463

They’re gutted he didn’t get in Peter, real shame.

All about the big 2 here for me, and I reckon the Bless The Wings Tricast will be very popular, but had to add Hurricane Darwin here 33’s win, and 25’s ew 4 Places.

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 259

Venture, take a bow lad

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 20 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.