2018 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Home Forums Cheltenham 2018 2018 Cheltenham Gold Cup

This topic contains 94 replies, has 29 voices, and was last updated by  Cheltenham Novice Chase 2 days, 17 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)
  • Author
    raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2767

Well unless you have backed them each way you all may as well throw your ante post slips away unless they are on Might Bite.
    Today showed he was fit and well and if anything his jumping has improved. With the engine he has I can’t see anything beating him and he looks a good thing to me!! Cheltenham banker Definitely at 7/1 or 8/1 if you can get it!!

charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 475

Well unless you have backed them each way you all may as well throw your ante post slips away unless they are on Might Bite.
    Today showed he was fit and well and if anything his jumping has improved. With the engine he has I can’t see anything beating him and he looks a good thing to me!! Cheltenham banker Definitely at 7/1 or 8/1 if you can get it!!

Might Bite won, as expected, but he still needs to take on top class horses and do that, which he didn’t yesterday

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1123

With horses like Thistlecrack still in training and a likely runner, that’s the sort of engine that might bite will be up against.

That’s a different level to yesterday’s field.

He could potentially face a top class Thistlecrack and, for me, nothing has an engine at his level. Sizing John looks a bit of a monster as well.

I wouldn’t take single figures for might bite for the gold cup personally

FrankieMac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 84

Thistlecrack’s performance against Many Clouds didn’t concern you?

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1123

Not even a little bit.

For me, that was Many Clouds best ever performance – including his national.

They were well clear of the third tha day and I think MC was just adamant he wasn’t going to be beaten. Poor thing lost his life because he battled that hard.

Voleur
    Voleur
    Participant
    • Total Posts 478

Not even a little bit.

For me, that was Many Clouds best ever performance – including his national.

They were well clear of the third tha day and I think MC was just adamant he wasn’t going to be beaten. Poor thing lost his life because he battled that hard.

I think you’re letting sentimentality cloud your judgement. Yes Many Clouds victory over Thistlecrack is his best ratings wise, the Racing Post have it at 174, 4lbs ahead of his National win. In my opinion that rating is unduly high, largely down to the hype around Thistlecrack at the time (ie. after hyping the horse up so much the RP had no choice but to award a mega-rating to the horse that beat him) and mainly down to the tragic circumstances of his victory. Sentimentality trumping rationality, which I have no problem with by the way. This is a sport we are all passionate about and we should honour the sport’s heroes in any way we can. But as stone-cold punters, I think we should always take things like that with a pinch of salt, a handful even.

Many Clouds was a very good horse, he won a National after all. He was as tough and as genuine as they come, but a very good horse doesn’t always mean a very good Grade 1 horse. In fact, his form in Grade 1’s reads: BD/4 (btn 21l)/6 (beaten 25l). That form doesn’t read too well for Thistlecrack. Yes it’s true they both pulled clear of the third place (17l to be exact), but that horse in third was Smad Place, who was beaten 38l by Don Cossack in 2016, and 27l by Sizing John last year. On bare form alone, Thistlecracks defeat to Many Clouds should be read as him running a stinker, but because of what happened post-race, people have instead taken the view that Many Clouds simply ran out of his skin.

With all that said, should Thistlecrack be 5/1 fav for the Gold Cup, especially after suffering a tendon injury? The jury is still very much out in my opinion.

FrankieMac
    Participant
    • Total Posts 84

Our Duke has had a back operation which might explain his JNWine run – Harrington says back in time for Irish gold cup in Feb.

Not sure that’s whether that’s a good thing as we can draw a line through his last run or whether a bad thing as it’s difficult to see him being 100% for Cheltenham. :scratch:

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 756

I wonder if it was kissing spines, which I think tend to do well post- surgery…but yep getting him fit enough in time, and enough experience into him, would be a problem.

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1615

My lad Cloudy Dream ran like a horse massively in need of a step up in trip yesterday. Brian Hughes blamed the ground as he got off but it looked more to me like he was outpaced when the other two put the burners on going down the hill and turning for home, before keeping on willingly back up the hill for a staying on second.

I’ll be banging the drum all season for this so I can only apologise in advance for the future headaches I’ll be giving fellow forumites :rose: My plan from here would be to rest up over Christmas while the ground gets mucky and come back in January for the Cotswold Chase. I’m convinced he can be this seasons Sizing John and make up into a Gold Cup horse.

Boz
    @TomBoardman87

bozlike
    bozlike
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1615

http://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/sport/horse-racing/jefferson-daring-to-dream-of-gold-cup-1-8865933

Bang your drum loud enough and music gets made :yahoo:

Boz
    @TomBoardman87

Middle_Of_March
    Middle_Of_March
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1123

Taken some of the 33/1 on offer with Bet365 for the Gold Cup for Bristol De Mai.

Can see him gagging up at Haydock and being cut accordingly.

Think he is improving and ran alright last year.

charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 475

Bristol De Mai @ 90’s. 2nd in the JLT in 2016, credible 7th in the GC. Is 6 going on 7 with improvement to come.

:yes:

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4865

I suspect Whisper is doomed to be one of those who is always going to be the bridesmaid in big races although 20/1 is tempting for the Gold Cup. Might Bite easily has his measure on RSA from but that one isn’t straightforward in either temperament or jumping. Conversely, you’d need to go a long way to find a more consistent, teak-tough, safe-jumping animal than Whisper who goes on any ground and is solid at Cheltenham. As such, touch wood on soundness, he is a remarkably strong antepost proposition. I rarely bet EW antepost but assuming he comes out of today in good shape, I’d be tempted to take 20s EW.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 843

Added killultagh vic at 150s and took some coney island 33s again

atthepost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 111

I think Yorkhill is going to win the Gold Cup!

Stengths

* 2/2 at the festival
    * Bred for the trip (Stamina, Speed and ability in abundance)
    * Goes on any ground
    * Jumps well enough left handed
    * Unexposed 7 year old 2nd Season Chaser with scope to improve further
    * Top class Jockey will ride him
    * Stay’s Injury free with no real setbacks

Weaknesses

* Can be very keen and pull quite hard- I expect the race to be run at a good clip, so hoping he settles better with experience.
    * Idles when hits the front- (This is my biggest worry)
    * Will be ridden at the back so more likely to bump into trouble! (Also a concern)

Yorkhill does have his qurks, but for be his profile, ability and track form for me outweighs his kinks.

Over 10s on the machine and 8/1 fixed is fair. I have backed him and will keep doing so.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 95 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.