2018 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Home Forums Cheltenham 2018 2018 Cheltenham Gold Cup

This topic contains 264 replies, has 61 voices, and was last updated by jackh1092 jackh1092 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 265 total)
  • Author

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 253

Good to see Native River entered on 10th Feb for the Denman at newbury.

Had a racecourse gallop according to joe tizzard,and primed to run.Stable form not ideal for any of this lads supporters.
    Giant strides last year,arguably tough season prior to his tilt at the gold cup,all of the main protagonists have questions to answer this far out,inc this horse.

If NR arrives in the same shape as last year,a whole lot fresher,can see him dominating this field come March,very little improvement required on last years display.

Lets hope they all make it,cracking race in prospect.

greenasgrass
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1232

Since my little favourite Whisper, who I was intending to back EW for this, is out, I have added Killultagh Vic at 25s (33s available with Coral but I don’t have a Coral account). Beating Thistlecrack over 3m is good form even if old form.

charlie87
    charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 672

Jasolong
    Participant
    • Total Posts 379

Road to respect one of the lays of the festival

– was pretty poor over hurdles only rated high 120’s.

– clearly a better chaser and has been progressive but I just think he’s been in the right race at the right time in the main.

– won a grade one last time but the 2 market principles didn’t turn up at all (sizing John and yorkhill)

– was all out to beat 66/1 shot balko des flos that day

– of the horses he’s beaten before that majority are nowhere near gold cup class and the good horses he’s beaten like outlander is a plodder and would never win a GC

Would love to hear what the positives are for this horse guys. I’m sure there must be some people who rate him.
    Let me know would love to hear why you would back such a horse

I’ll be laying the place in the gold cup

MoyenneCorniche
    MoyenneCorniche
    Participant
    • Total Posts 99

While I won’t be backing him,especially at the price he is,it’s not hard to make a case for Road to Respect.

Previous festival winner,will love the better ground,has beaten most of the principles already this season and it looks like a poor renewal.

I think he’s got a decent chance of a place.

charlie87
    charlie87
    Participant
    • Total Posts 672

Really hoping Saphir Du Rheu does well tomorrow as I have him @ 200’s for the GC

Vautour
    Vautour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 431

Have 3 horses for this at 150/1, 150/1 and 140/1. They are Killultagh Vic, Blaklion and Bachasson.

Looks like Blaklion wont go though; which is a shame because his form is working out really well.

Ben_Bernanke
    Ben_Bernanke
    Participant
    • Total Posts 643

greenasgrass and vatour good work picking out Killutagh Vic at those prices!! He’s one I like too but getting a bit short now, may just put him in an accumulator to get a run for my money, obviously he’s not a short price but I only like backing things properly if I’m really confident in them and there’s a few question marks over his head for me which are stopping me, however if I had the prices you guys had I certainly wouldn’t be complaining 😀 😀

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by Ben_Bernanke Ben_Bernanke.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1606

Positive update on killultagh vic today, will probably green out now as im
    Not sure if he will shorten all that much between now and the gold cup, unless the likesnof native river have a poor showing tomorrow

Hoping they run bachasson once more before they give a definite on his target.

jackh1092
    jackh1092
    Participant
    • Total Posts 693

Bristol de Mai not heading to cheltenham.

Twitter: Jackh1092
    Hindsight is 20/20 so make the most of it!

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 13312

Clan Des Obeaux scratched as well.

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1606

Disko out also

KevMcAlley
    KevMcAlley
    Participant
    • Total Posts 459

Our Duke possibly running in the Red Mills this weekend over 2 and a half is interesting.

Jessie could be trying to get him to jump faster as he was slowing into some of them at Leopardstown and going down in trip he would need to be faster.

Might meet Presenting Percy in the race, who may also be doing the same exercise at sharpening up a bit.

Vautour
    Vautour
    Participant
    • Total Posts 431

Just heard an interesting stat on The Final Furlong Podcast. Usually the horse who has had a good consistent prep wins the Gold Cup and horses with a bad prep generally dont win; Lord Windermere being the exception, although that race fell apart with Silviniaco Conti not staying and Bobs Worth pulling up.

Sizing John won Lexus and Irish Gold Cup in the run up to last years Gold Cup.
    Don Cossack had 3 wins and a fall in the King George on the way to his Gold Cup.
    Coneygree was 3 out of 3 heading into The Gold Cup.
    Bobs Worth won The Hennessy before his Gold Cup.

Based on that there are 3 horses that are having a great season going into the Gold Cup; Might Bite, Road to Respect and Blaklion. Honourable mention for Definitely Red; who has had a decent prep as well if you leave his seasonal debut out where he was thrashed by Bristol De Mai and Blaklion.

Blaklion probably wont run but 20/1 NRNB is great value.
    Might Bite blowing up after the last fence in Cheltenham is something to consider as well.

Based on the above theory I’m moving towards thinking Road to Respect is the value bet at 10/1 e/w NRNB.

Horses who have not had an ideal prep and can be ruled out based on the above theory;

Killultagh Vic
    Coney Island
    Native River
    Sizing John
    Our Duke
    Minella Rocco
    Djakadam

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 5290

Coneygree scratched

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 136 through 150 (of 265 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.