2017 Welsh National

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2017 Welsh National

This topic contains 27 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by  Mike007 2 hours, 11 minutes ago.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 37

Southfield Theatre is 148,apologies bit of a typo earlier saying 142,entered in the Becher weekend.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12039

Still no idea of my #1 yet, but pretty sure it’ll probably be Kasbah, or, depending how Newbury goes, Cogry, but I’m happy to have the early pair in there for now, especially Regal Encore

Darren, took the plunge myself tonight on Kasbah. He was always high on my list to be my #1 in this, and I’ve had a few quid on. After yesterday, I’ve topped up more on Regal Encore, and the pair of them lead the way for me here.

I missed doing a book on this last year, because of my Native River bet, but I did one the 2 years before, and they went very well. Early doors here, but considering it this time around, and I’m on the verge of adding Russe Blanc as well, but holding tight, just in case I change my mind about the book. Probably 50/50 on that front, as the odds look tight right now.

I’ll stick with these for the timebeing…..

Rock The Kasbah Win 14’s
    Regal Encore Each Way 50’s
    Regal Encore 50’s to 80’s

Beware The Bear 38’s to 48’s
    Folsom Blue EW 33’s

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12039

With Three Faces West taken out of The Becher, he’s close to being added here at 25’s as well.

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2069

Vintage Clouds needs to be watched this season for a race like this but I would have thought Haydock or Aintree were his primary targets

Robinsfirth is consistent but just lacks a bit of class.

Final Nudge would seem ideally suited to the race and his regular jockeys ride winners at the course.

Final Nudge for me at this stage.

joliff
    joliff
    Participant
    • Total Posts 288

Houblon Des Obeaux off 10lb lower than last year is very appealing…

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12039

One of my very favourites Joliff, and entered up for The London National as well at the weekend. Think he’s looked to have retained plenty of his ability, and I genuinely think he’s tough enough to take in both. Nice price on Saturday as well at 10’s.

BigG
    BigG
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3463

I’m going to throw one into the mix, I don’t think he’s been mentioned yet. BAYWING is
    a horse I thought a fair bit for the last couple of seasons. He was hugely impressive at the
    tail end of 2015 and the start of 2016, where he won 4 on the trot and was hiked up a pretty
    incredible 46lbs in the space of 3 months. He clearly went wrong next time out in February(16),
    he was pulled up and didn’t appear back until Januaury of this year. He was entitled to need that
    (4th), and I couldn’t understand why he went off at 33/1 next time out in a Grade 2 Chase at Wetherby.
    I backed him, I don’t think there was a thread to mention him, but I had him in Bob’s competition
    (and unfortunately 1st reserve in Jac’s). That was over 3m on soft, and he looked like he could have
    won it pulling a cart, which is why they raised him 15lbs for that. He looked like he needed his
    comeback race at Carlisle last month, and then uncharacteristically fell at the 1st at Haydock 3
    weeks later. He loves heavy ground, and is likely to get that at Chepstow, and has looked full
    of running when winning over 3m. I really think the extra distance will bring out the best in him
    and at 25/1 he’s well worth a crack.

There are plenty of big guns running further up the handicap, capped by American who I think is
    absolutely top Notch. The worry for me is that this isn’t a race where the top weights normally
    take a hand. Last year was an exception, but then again Native River (11.12) was exceptional. In
    the past 20 years, only one other horse has carried more that 11st (Halcon Genelardais 11.3 in 2006)
    He’s the right age and weight, should improve for the trip, and he will have ground conditions in
    his favour. What’s not to like :good:

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2767

FINAL NUDGE 16/1 and WOTSIZNAME 25/1 are the two I am interested in.

Final Nudge just couldn’t get by present man last time which was unfortunate for my pocket as I was on at 20/1 and 25/1 but that could turn out to be a good prep for this having been going well in the Midlands National when coming down four out.

Wotsizname could be a dark one and looks like a thorough stayer to me and has ran several times over three miles plus and could improve for the extra distance . I know it is Harry fry’s which is a good thing apart from the fact that he might not want to run it against American but I am willing to take that chance at the price.

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2069

Hopefully Sugar Baron runs here now.

nulty
    nulty
    Participant
    • Total Posts 448

Mysteree the one for me. Dodged the race at Cheltenham on Friday, massive record winning first time out the last three seasons. Missed the cut for this last season and probably lucky too, Native River was not for beating. Hopefully slow ground prevails and Mysteree can show himself to be ideal for this race.

Relative price to Chase the Spud is totally wrong. Mysteree is a 6/1 shot here at worst.

Ploughed into the 20/1.

:good:

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2767

After that round of shoddy jumping bu WOTSIZNAME I hope he doesn’t turn up!! LOL

I have jumped on the Rock the Kasbah bandwagon too!! LOL

botchy1
    botchy1
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1631

Agree totally with BigG on Baywing. Could not hold out longer on him, so finally succumbed. If not this one he will win a good race this year at some point ( i hope )

Mike007
    Participant
    • Total Posts 60

I’m on Wild West Wind at 25-1. Backed before his seasonal debut.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.