The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Portland Handicap 2017

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Portland Handicap 2017

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    • Total Posts 14936

Nice looking entries for this one……..

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/15/doncaster/2017-09-16/682867

Not for the first time this season, my attention is drawn to both A Momentofmadness, and Justanotherbottle. Both have paid their way for me this year, and Madness seems incapable of not giving it 100%, and I like him more and more each run. He’s becoming one of my favourites on the level. Bottle isn’t quite there yet, but I think he’s going in the right direction, and he really did everything right at York last time, and made the frame in a hot handicap. Both have time on their side, and I would just love to see the pair of them go at it from the front on Saturday.

There’s the slight concern, having had some those returns from them already this season, that the heart is ruling the head, in an ultra competitive handicap like this, and not to mention that neither is jocked up yet, and that both would have questions marks should it become too heavy.

It might make sense to wait until they’re declared, and get those 5 place concessions, but I’ll have a small early punt just now on the pair of them each way, as neither of them owe me anything this year.

Tough race as I mentioned, and one who might just struggle to get in, but worth keeping in mind for the consolation races at Ayr next week, is Huntsmans Close. 25’s here, but after being in the wilderness for a while, he looks as if he’s got some of his old zest back, and might not be a back number just yet.

I’ll stick with my pair though for now, and just hope one of them makes it at the very least.

A Momentofmadness 14’s
    Justanotherbottle 16’s
    both EW

GL

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 3393

Move in time for me, into the 80s now surely he has to bounce back, the fact they havent retired him after his season he must be showing some spark at home!

25s will do for me, will probably get bigger on the exchange before the off i might have a nibble then

buckers
    Participant
    • Total Posts 719

I am with you here Ham, and I haven’t checked yet but hopefully there will be five places on that race and at that price I think it is a very appealing each way bet for me. Good luck

Participant
    • Total Posts 6132

STAKE ACCLAIM for me in this. Ran well last time at Windsor when the race was happening away from him and won nicely before that at ascot in the Shergar Cup. 12/1 looks solid and unusually for me I am all in on just the one horse. :good: :good:
    I am going to Donny tomorrow so the first race could decide my fate for the day LOL

LostSoldier3
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 1882

I probably won’t have a bet but for what it’s worth…

I thought Vibrant Chords was a bang solid fav and couldn’t really see it out of the 5. Also liked Merlin and Lancelot Du Lac at the prices.

Will just watch and enjoy.

Participant
    • Total Posts 353

I like last year’s winner Captain Colby but more so Compas Scoobid who is progressive.

Participant
    • Total Posts 893

Evergate @ 18/1

• Total Posts 14936

I remember backing a horse at 33-1 Ante-Post for The National, in January, and he eventually went off at 66’s FFS. I still consider that one of my worst AP bets ever, but at least I had 3 months for him to drift.

However, I only put Justanotherbottle up a couple of days ago, and he’s now 33’s FFS. That’s a fair old drift in anyones book lol, but I’m going back in for more lol

Good luck with the others guys :good:

Participant
    • Total Posts 2044

I backed a few with SkyBet who are doing money back if your horse finishes 2nd, 3rd or 4th.

I put Stake Acclaim up at 16/1 in the ante-post comp and really wish I’d taken the price then but alas I still think he’s one to keep on side with so have gone in at 9/1. I’ve also backed Spring Loaded (14/1) who looks primed to go close. He’s a consistent sort and I can imagine this is a big target for connections. And at 33/1 I couldn’t resist backing Duke Of Firenze. Finley Marsh’s claim means he’s quite fairly weighted and has still been running well enough this season to suggest he’s no forlorn hope.

Best of luck all.

Participant
    • Total Posts 334

Tough race. I’m going with Stake Acclaim at 12s.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2044

That was a nice way to get the day started. And he bolted up didn’t he?

Participant
    • Total Posts 6123

Nice one, Charles. Absolutely trounced them. Looks like one who everything came dead right for on the day or he’s found improvement and could be worth following. Well done.

• Total Posts 14936

Well played Charles, a very impressive winner.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6132

WELL DONE CHARLES!!! :good: :good: An impressive turn of foot to burst clear!!
    Visually it looked like it had just joined in!! :good: :good:

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.