2017 Grand Sefton

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2017 Grand Sefton

This topic contains 25 replies, has 15 voices, and was last updated by CharlesOlney CharlesOlney 6 days, 22 hours ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12039

Usual competitive looking entries for this race over The National Fences, though understandably, many are double booked, with engagements in The Becher, which is run earlier in the afternoon.

https://www.racingpost.com/racecards/32/aintree/2017-12-09/688087

The likes of Gas Line Boy, Go Conquer, Present Man, and As De Mee are the highest profile of those with the double engagement, and I’ve already parted with some cash for Gas Line for The Becher. I’d much prefer him in that race, but should he head here, I’d cover him here to try and win my stakes back, as he’s quite simply never been better, and only has the fences to stop him from running well, wherever he ends up. I don’t think Go Conquer will be in handicaps for much longer, and I think this would be better for him than The Becher, though from what we’ve seen of him, he could take either, and the same could be said of the Nicholls pair.

As De Mee was an impressive winner of this last year, but I think that stable plans could revolve around Sametegal. He looked a natural for The BetVictor, and a bit surprised that he didn’t head there. I just reckon this is a long term plan for him, and they’ve managed to keep his mark at a very handy level. Not seen too often over the last couple of years, but normally thereabouts when we do see him, and he deserves to be near the head of the market. Bouvreil from the yard, has ran many decent races as well, but has to start doing it soon. Certainly, like Sametegal, he looks to have a few pounds in hand, and his third to Road To Respect at The Festival gives him a live chance here at 16’s.

Splitting Go Conquer & Sametegal at the top of the market is WPM’s Polidam, a french recruit who was bought with Aintree in mind. Has a decent reputation, but he must step up markedly from his stable debut at Punchestown.

The horse I really like for this at the moment, is Lucinda Russells Imjoeking. Absolutely lobbing away nicely in The Topham when he fell four out, and the jockey hadn’t even hinted at asking him a question at that stage. It wasn’t even a bad fall, he jumped the fence fine, and just crumpled on landing. A repeat of that will surely see him competitive here, and 33’s is way too big for me. Ran at Aintree the other week, and they couldn’t give him away before the off, and he was never really put into it. I’d expect better than that should he appear here.

His exit in The Topham, paved the way for Ultragold to win, and he did it well. He’s not been overburdened for that win, and I still give him an outside chance for The National. I bet him last time, and was a bit underwhelmed by him, but he’s surely better than that day at Ascot, and he looks overpriced also at 33’s, and I’m considering him.

Double Shuffle would have a chance, but is of no appeal this far out, as he is so ground dependant, while O O Seven, and Kilcrea Vale, could be made a case for, from the Henderson yard.

Nigel Twiston-Davies, fresh from big race success at the weekend, has a few entered, and Arctic Gold is going the right way, finding only a rejuvenated Cyrus Darius too hot for him last time. He’s got a chance, while Ballyboley, for all he’s went up the weights, still looks capable here. I’ve really taken to him this year, and this is definitely not beyond him. 14’s is decent.

On his last 2 runs, Captain Redbeard, was behind both the NTD pair, and he hasn’t discgraced himself at all. He was pretty poor in The Close Bros Novices, but I just think he has enough about him to make his presence felt here at 25’s, and for an outsider, his price should hold, and may just be one for on the day with 5, 6 Place Concessions.

Along with Ultragold, another outsider I’m seriously considering is Rathlin Rose. Pipe normally has something decent in this, and though he also holds a Becher entry, based on his Fontwell run yesterday, with the burden of my cash on him, this trip looks more suitable. His run at the tail end of last season was poor, but previously he had hit the headlines twice at Sandown, under Capt Guy Disney, and I really liked the manner of the wins there, and reckoned the horse had more to offer. I still hold that view, and it was reinforced yesterday, and as I type this, I’m close to adding him too at 25’s.

Clarcam cost me a few quid in The Topham, and he never looked in love with it, though I suspect that the yards horses weren’t 100% at Aintree, and that may be a valid excuse. Back to form last time, and not out of this if in that mood. If he wins here, he’ll cost me a few quid again, as I’ll be lobbing the TV out the window. It may be advisable that I cover him on the day.

You’ll struggle to get a combination that is more “Aintree” than McCain & Hemmings, and their Katachenko is an interesting outsider. He looked to be enjoying himself when he came down at The Canal Turn, and though a bit in and out, he has got runs which bring him into this, and at 33’s, considering connections, he must be considered a safe Ante-Post bet, he will surely go here, and if he does, he won’t be 33’s. I might just play that to trade out.

That’s enough for now, and those are the ones that catch the eye. Not as big a betting race for me as The Becher, but I’ll give it a go.

Some very nice types at the head of the market, but for this race, I’m happy to loiter further down.

I will play Katachenko to lay off a bit, and I’m considering Ultragold, as I don’t think that price will last, while the opposite might be true of Rathlin Rose. I’ll hold off until I see some blue on that pair.

For now

Imjoeking EW 33’s

GL

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12039

Race still has a trappy look to it, and still happy with Imjoeking, though a little concerned that his price has held.

Added a few tonight, but not to the same level as Joe, though I don’t have to at the prices. Portrait King especially looks more suitable for The Becher, but that’s reflected in the price. I’ll be looking to lay to balance things up if I get the opportunity.

Imjoeking 33’s Ew

Rathlin Rose 25’s Win
    Portrait King 100’s Ew
    Katachenko 33’s Ew

Flyers Nap
    Participant
    • Total Posts 37

Evening VTC

Giving it as soft at the moment,joe does look well handicapped,fine jumper,crucially has that experience.

Ultragold….not treated harshly on that topham run,he looks much better left handed.

Couple runs should be spot on,think he,s better on decent surface,another fine jumper.

5 day might clear a few,this has the look of a proper handicap,big weight difference top to bottom.

Federici…..what do you make of him ?

Form at 3m 4f for EB,doubly entered,given interesting ride in this last year.

Sneaks in towards the bottom,been brought along nice and slowly,on the radar.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12039

Hope so Flyers, think Imjoeking has a lot going for him, and hopefully he’ll still be in there this time tomorrow. As I said, keen on Ultragold, but will leave him be for this, as he’s in my National Book, and I’ll be happy enough if he wins this.

I’ve never been a massive fan of Federici, and hadn’t really considered him for this, but your comment had me going and having a look at last years race. It’s not as if it was some amateur on board, but that was a strange ride. Was it a sighter? Certainly wasn’t asked too many questions, was he?

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2767

Just a couple of speculative bets so far on thi BALLYBOLLEY at 14/1 and IMJOKING at 33/1

Will federici run in this or the Becher Bobby?

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12039

Hard one Raymo, I think Becher, but going by last years run in The Grand Sefton, it’s definitely within reach for him in this again.

peter .h
    peter .h
    Participant
    • Total Posts 885

Going to stay loyal to Ultragold and it’s hard not to see Imjoeking going close given how he was going in the Topham before falling.

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4865

Superb work yet again, Bobby

Just backed Mercian Prince at a standout 12/1 with Sportingbet.

Should take nicely to these fences – a springy wee jumper. He’s trained by Amy Murphy who’s doing well with Kalashnikov.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12039

Cheers Joe.

Best of luck with Mercian, and well done getting that 12’s, he’s barely double figures now anywhere else.

raymo61
    raymo61
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2767

Blimey I have backed four in this now!!
    Like Joe I am on Mercian Prince at 12/1 and also Arctic Gold at 20/1.

At this rate I will be on half the field and I see Gas Line Boy is coming here!!
    It will probably win cos I backed it for the Becher!!

ham
    Participant
    • Total Posts 843

Gas line boy 8/1

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12039

As mentioned always the plan to add Gas Line Boy here if he didn’t go Becher Chase, and I’ll add him once he’s declared. Very happy to see Dunne in the saddle (despite that blunder last time Mark)

The intention was just to back him here to try and win my stakes back from The Becher Chase, but if Katachenko’s price continues to plummet, then I should be able to have a bit more on, and should be able to comfortably lay off for a profit before the tapes go up, and still have a good few quid left. Just hoping he gets there now.

atthepost
    Participant
    • Total Posts 111

Imjoeking acts well on heavy ground and was travelling very well in the Topham as VTC pointed out.

I’ll take a chance at 33s EW

Racingorchid
    Participant
    • Total Posts 105

Rathlin Rose

MarkTT
    MarkTT
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2069

As mentioned always the plan to add Gas Line Boy here if he didn’t go Becher Chase, and I’ll add him once he’s declared. Very happy to see Dunne in the saddle (despite that blunder last time Mark)

What has happened to his price ? I know fuel is expensive but 7-2 from 9-1 ?!!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.