The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

Grand National 2017

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion Grand National 2017

Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 446 total)
  • Author
    Blocked
    • Total Posts 8253

Michael O’Leary mentioned Empire Of Dirt in his rant about the Grand National weights. He described the horse as a “Glorified Handicapper”

That would seem to have been at odds with running him in the Irish Gold Cup, as normally you would only do that if you thought it was a weak renewal, or you didn’t have anything else to aim at it.

I felt the Irish Gold Cup was a shade below par this season, but other outlets felt it was up to standard. In the end I backed Don Poli at 7/2, as a sort of last chance saloon for him. In the end the dubious stayer Sizing John saw Empire Of Dirt and Don Poli off, suggesting that connections should have stepped him up long before now, instead of chasing Douvan in vain at shorter. I suspect that Sizing John got away with it a bit that day though and I don;t see him coming up that Cheltenham hill if he runs in the Gold Cup.

Just slight doubts for me how stout a stayer Empire Of Dirt is and I never saw him or Don Poli as likely Grand National sorts regardless of the weights furore.

Owners make funny choices and I have seen a few I thought were Cheltenham material this year, that were not left in the races. I couldn’t own a horse over jumps and not dream of Cheltenham but here is “nowt so queer as folk” they say

I would go for the Ryanair, it looks an awful lot weaker than the Gold Cup to me, even with some of them missing now.

Thanks for the good crack. Time for me to move on. Be lucky.

Participant
    • Total Posts 2253

Was watching a preview last night and one of the tipsters pointed out that horses who have good form at 2 miles often win gold cups, like for example kicking king, which lead him to sizing john

if you watch a replay of the 4 miler last year native river was hopelessly outpaced at one point before charging up the hill, I guess he’s improved but that would concern me for the gold cup

Participant
    • Total Posts 31534

Native River was amateur ridden in the 4 miler and doesn’t run or jump as well when (like that day) held up, Judge. Totally different horse from the front/for Johnson. Problem would be if connections get conned in to believing he’s got pace by what happened last time out. imo Didn’t need to be anywhere near best in the Denman. Setting a slow pace on Friday would leave him vulnerable here… But can’t really see that happening. Making the running or racing up with the pace in a truly run Gold Cup is sure to play to his strengths. Although some rivals appear to actually need front running tactics to produce their best, so not absolutely certain Native River will be able to get the needed unhindered view of his fences.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 2253

Think it might be a good race to play in play, ginger. You often get races turned around up the home straight in the gold cup and I can see maybe Native River looking beat at some point then if he comes charging up the hill like he did last year, he could reel in the non-stayers like cue card, and potentially perhaps, sizing john

lay him beforehand, and then put in a bet of native river at 10-1 in running?

Participant
    • Total Posts 117

There is an intriguing suggestion from Eddie O’Leary that Empire of Dirt might run in the Gold Cup if he fell in the Ryanair. See Racing Post today.

I haven’t seen this happen before. I know horses can run in more than one race at the festival but my guess is that if EOD is aimed at the Ryanair the owners won’t want to bother entering the Gold Cup. Presumably it costs a bit to retain the GC entry and wouldn’t be worth it on the off chance of an early and non-damaging fall the day before.

I must say I find the entry system rather confusing. If anyone can give a data source and/or tell me how much it will cost the O’Learys to keep the GC option open rather than lapsing it that would be good to know.

Participant
    • Total Posts 117

Market movements today strongly suggest EOD is going for the Ryanair. I’m not sure if it’s been announced formally. However, it is logical given Outlander appears to be about as good as EOD but with fewer stamina doubts so this way they have chances in both races. Outlander seems to have received few tips or favourable comments but appears to be in with a shout for the GC on form not too far below the market leaders.

Having done some research it looks like it wouldn’t cost much to keep the GC entry so I expect they will keep that option open just in case.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6123

kasparov, it’s very difficult to find out the fee structure. It used to be published by trade press within race conditions but that no longer seems the case. The RACING POST conditions report only that the the 6 day decs – 14 of them – paid £715 each at that stage.

Nothing on the BHA site I can find.

Participant
    • Total Posts 117

I found this on the internet:

How much does it cost to enter a horse for a race at the Cheltenham festival?

Cost to enter a horse in a race

Answer provided by British Horseracing Association

Charges vary between races, I have set out below the charges incurred for an entry in The Gold Cup as a rough guide. Please note these charges may change for next years’ race.

Cheltenham 13/3/15

THE BETFRED CHELTENHAM GOLD CUP STEEPLE CHASE (CLASS 1) (Grade 1)

Entry 06/01/15 £685.00

Supplementary Entry 07/03/15 £27500.00

1st Scratching 10/02/15 £1370.00

5 Day 07/03/15 £685.00

4 Day 08/03/15 £0.00

Declaration 11/03/15 £0.00

So it looks like it costs nothing to keep an entry after the 5 day stage and not a lot before then. But the info is a bit out of date.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6132

By those figures then (If I have read it right) it costs over £2800 to enter. Not cheap!! :wacko: :wacko:

Participant
    • Total Posts 117

That’s right but once you have entered at the start, it only costs £685 to stay in at the 5 day stage, which is loose change for rich owners.

Personally I think multiple entries should be discouraged. Maybe they should say the second and third entries for a horse cost more, or have a penalty for pulling out late unless the horse is physically unable to compete.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31534

There is an intriguing suggestion from Eddie O’Leary that Empire of Dirt might run in the Gold Cup if he fell in the Ryanair. See Racing Post today.

I haven’t seen this happen before. I know horses can run in more than one race at the festival but my guess is that if EOD is aimed at the Ryanair the owners won’t want to bother entering the Gold Cup. Presumably it costs a bit to retain the GC entry and wouldn’t be worth it on the off chance of an early and non-damaging fall the day before.

I must say I find the entry system rather confusing. If anyone can give a data source and/or tell me how much it will cost the O’Learys to keep the GC option open rather than lapsing it that would be good to know.

I seem to remember a horse in the 80s falling very early in one of the novices, Kasparov; and going on to win a handicap. Believe it began with R…..?

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 685

Tiger Roll got 10-10 in the National. Wonder if Elliott regrets taking it out after O’Leary’s dummies-out-the-pram tantrum. Next year will be 10 lbs higher after that 4m win earlier.

• Total Posts 14936

He’s not in QF, got taken out last forfeit stage………unfortunately :negative:

Participant
    • Total Posts 685

He’s not in QF, got taken out last forfeit stage………unfortunately :negative:

Yeah, I noticed that straight after posting!

• Total Posts 14936

I had him to win a fortune it QF, but knew from the weights launch he wasn’t going.

Participant
    • Total Posts 5921

Had him 2 or 3 times up to 400’s as well :negative:

Participant
    • Total Posts 31534

Minella Rocco and Saphir De Rheu are going to look well handicapped after the Gold Cup, but will either be suited by these fences?

Value Is Everything
Viewing 17 posts - 239 through 255 (of 446 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.