2016 Cheltenham Gold Cup

Home Forums Archive Topics Cheltenham 2016 2016 Cheltenham Gold Cup

This topic contains 319 replies, has 63 voices, and was last updated by Venture to Cognac Venture to Cognac 1 year, 8 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 320 total)
  • Author
    Zamorston
    Zamorston
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1063

Looked an ideal National horse to me today, and I’ve had a little go for that…

With Gigginstown already having the likes of Don Cossack, Road To Riches and Sir Des Champs as Gold Cup contenders, will Don Poli go to Aintree instead? I see him having a much, much better chance of winning the National over the Gold Cup and looks far more suited to that than either of the other 3 IMO…

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

It’s certainly something they must be considering for him at some point Zam, that Becher Chase entry was a real eye opener.

GL with him for Aintree.

Nathan Hughes
    Nathan Hughes
    Participant
    • Total Posts 17490

On today’s going I thought Menorah has run a cracking race against the two stayers.
    When Hobbs horse gets decent ground he’ll come on a ton.

Don't Eat The Pie and Don't Buy The S*n
    steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4865

DP could trade at a huge price as he won’t go the likely fierce pace, yet could be the very one who benefits from it, especially if there is cut. He very much looks the part and is a beautiful mover for such a big horse.

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

befair
    befair
    Participant
    • Total Posts 878

Djakadam most impressive today, this is building up nicely; Don Cossack, don Poli, Coneygree, Road to Riches, Vautour, have all run + won, With Smad Place + Cue Card in the wings. Think Djakadam was the most impressive so far

thewexfordman
    Participant
    • Total Posts 667

Be fair I agree. Djakadam has been the most impressive of the ones you named, first with Don Cossack a close second. However I never considered Cue Card as a gold cup horse but he has been the most impressive 3 miler this year by far.

Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

Very pleased with the news that Jonjo is giving More of That an entry in The Gold Cup. Far from certain to run, but I stuck a few quid on him at 100’s, at the weekend, so fingers crossed for that one.

He still looks ideal for The RSA in my eyes, though they have mentioned The JLT for him as well.

steeplechasing
    steeplechasing
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4865

I was very surprised to hear JonJo mention the Gold Cup for MOT, especially in such a sparkling year, but good luck to you, Bobby. His jumping was more assured in general, although as he got tired, he was becoming prone to leaving his back legs in the fence. He didn’t look like he was running so much with the choke out – which he has done, to my eye, a few times.

You never see him with ears pricked, and I suspect he takes quite a bit out of himself without the jock having to do much. Anyway, let’s hope he stays sound. You’ll be rooting for a GC run, and Gord for an RSA!

Never argue with a fool. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience, then onlookers might not be able to tell the difference. https://lazybet.com/

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4594

Unrealistic maybe, but I don’t think the entry is too much of a surprise. JP hasn’t got much else and he isn’t exactly short of a bob or two.

Being nursed round in a couple of small field novice chases hasn’t really told us a great deal about what might happen to him in a bigger field and much more competitive race. Least of all as to whether he would appreciate a slog over the Gold Cup trip. If most of the other leading lights were to make it to March the least you are going to have to do is stay the trip. How do they intend finding out if he is good enough? I think to be even considering a run first and foremost you would have to be pretty much a certainty for the RSA and at this stage he isn’t.

• This reply was modified 2 years ago by  stilvi.
    Venture to Cognac
    Venture to Cognac
    • Total Posts 12037

You’ll be rooting for a GC run, and Gord for an RSA!

I think he’ll end up in The RSA Joe, he certainly wouldn’t be my main hope for The Gold Cup, but a pleasant surprise to see he’s going to get an entry anyway.

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 437

Coneygree out for the season. Very unfortunate for anyone who has backed him. And for the trainers and owners . Sad news for a fan of the game

rocky91
    Participant
    • Total Posts 437

On a selfish note. My Djakadam 14/1 and don cossack at 8/1 look very good.
    And my only other bet in GC to a smaller stake vautour could yet be a gold cup horse after looking in the betting like a switch to ryan air.
    going to be a great king george. Although as a spectacle coneygree going to be missed dearly.

LD73
    Participant
    • Total Posts 717

Hasn’t been confirmed that Coneygree is out for the whole season yet as he has been sent to Newmarket for diagnosis but there must be a massive doubt over whether we will see him again full stop – for an 8/9 yr old to only have had 11 career NH starts, he must be extremely fragile leg wise to deal with. If he misses the rest of this season the family may not be willing to risk putting him back into training again if his legs are suspect.

It makes last years decision to go for the GC much more understandable as they may have recognised that while they had him in good form and most importantly sound it would be best to go to the big dance rather than risk waiting another year – we all hope he will be fit to defend his title given the potential horses due to line up in the race, but for a chaser, continued leg problems are a major concern and I would hate to see him have another problem mid race.

I was fortunate to see him in the flesh at Sandown last month, so fingers crossed this set back is a mere blip rather than anything long term.

CarryOnKatie
    CarryOnKatie
    Participant
    • Total Posts 569

Unfortunately, it seems that Coneygree falls in a similar bucket to the likes of Looks Like Trouble – i.e. very smart GC winner but fragile and I suspect even if he does come back he won’t be the same force as in 2015.

homersimpson
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1864

Coneygree out for season. Such a shame. Connections believe he will make a full recovery. I hope they are right.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 320 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.