The home of intelligent horse racing discussion
The home of intelligent horse racing discussion

2000 Guineas 2016

Home Forums Big Races – Discussion 2000 Guineas 2016

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 182 total)
  • Author
    Participant
    • Total Posts 126

Only half an hour to go until the big race, but Jack Hobbs pulled up in the Jockey Club Stakes. 🙁

moehat
    Participant
    • Total Posts 9065

Have backed all of the extreme outsiders hoping for a shock result. Hope Jack Hobbs is ok though.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31545

Tail wind not going to help the hold up horses.

Value Is Everything
    Participant
    • Total Posts 126

Galileo Gold looked good working at Newmarket the other week. Can’t say I’m surprised by his win; well done to his connections.

Looks like Air Force Blue did a One Cool Cat on us.

stilvi
    Participant
    • Total Posts 4807

A few scripts ripped up there. No doubt everyone ready to proclaim yet another best ever from Aidan.

Stormy Antartic looked awkward going to the start and even more awkward in the race. Baker gave the distinct impression he was almost unrideable.

Participant
    • Total Posts 1594

I reckon this will be a small field, Hit It A Bomb and Ribchester have been mooted as bound for France. Andre Fabre has said Ultra won’t run but will be prepared for Epsom and the Derby.

There are a lot of entries who look like they won’t be fast enough and/or are not good enough. I can see the field seriously thinning down and Air Force Blue being well odds on come flag fall.

There has been slight nibbling at Emotionless and Massaat, probably in the expectation that they will definitely run and be a fair bit shorter on the day as the field is seriously pruned down.

Galileo Gold seems a decent call each-way at 40/1, certainly compared to Ultra at half those odds when that one won’t be coming over. Hugo Palmer stated in January that Galileo Gold had put on 70 kilos and really thrived physically since last seen. He is in the running for all three Guineas with the ground the key to where he will turn up. The colt doesn’t want fast ground and the trainer expanded on plans by stating that Galileo Gold is a clean winded horse who probably won’t run in any of the trials.

My gut feeling is that the horse will probably head to France, as Air Force Blue may go Newmarket and Ireland, making those options look tougher assignments for the others.

The French race is shaping like it might be more intriguing and competitive than the others. Somewhat puzzlingly Racebets have La Cressonniere as favourite for the French 2000 Guineas. Jean-Claude Rouget’s five time and unbeaten winner is actually a filly and it would be unusual for her to compete against the colts. I suspect the Racebets team haven’t done their homework here.

Significant money reported for Galileo Gold today. He now sits at 14/1 down to 8/1 in a place.

I hope you had a sniff at 40’s Steve. I had a small bet on AFB to win by over 3 lengths at 8/1, nothing serious but should have left it alone. Galileo Gold had all the credentials to win and came as no surprise to me to win this race. (Closely matched on a form line with Air Force Blue through Herald The Dawn) I am a big fan of Hugo Palmer and he will go on to win many more group 1’s in the near future. Kudos.

Participant
    • Total Posts 229

Tail wind not going to help the hold up horses.

Good call. Turned out to be very much the case, even though I think the best horse on the day did win. But, might help explain some of the backmarkers’ poor runs.

What a brilliant young trainer Hugo Palmer is btw. All his top horses just seem to have this great tactical speed and just don’t when to stop. A superb combination. Gifted Master, Covert Love, Home Of The Brave, Galileo Gold, all very similar profile.

Participant
    • Total Posts 6129

Don’t know what was wrong with the fav but he did not race. Wouldn’t or couldn’t stretch his neck or put his head down.

mickeyjp
    Participant
    • Total Posts 1565

The fav was never racing. Massats run showed that he is a top horse. We will just have to wait to see if it was a one off or he hasn’t trained on. Wouldn’t be surprised if he runs in either the Irish guineas or the St James palace next.

wordfromthewise
    Participant
    • Total Posts 477

Standby for a wind op for AFB or worse still immediate retirement to protect his stallion value….

Participant
    • Total Posts 16296

Well done to everyone who backed Galileo Gold and for Steve for flagging him up at 40/1 even though he was totally convinced that AFB would win this :scratch: …hope you had a bet on him Steve and Ribchester your fun bet who came in 3rd at 33/1.
    Great to see Paco Boy sire the winner of the 2000 Guineas, one of my favourite racehorses. Great training performance from Hugo Palmer and brilliant ride from Frankie. :good:

Buratino never got going on the ground and with that tail wind, as Ginge said earlier, the ground was absolutely dead and nothing was going to come to win the race from behind it was impossible to quicken. Have to see how it is tomorrow.

Bad luck BigG and TAPK (and me) we kept the faith but the weather let us down, he will be a different horse when he can hear his hooves rattle again. :rose:

I got on Stormy Antarctic EW at 10-1. Hope he doesn’t make a fool of me.

@Triptych I was on Haafhd in 2004 and I’m grasping for faith in the Craven right now! :mail:

Looks like the stat on the Craven is still holding up St.Nic. :unsure:
    Stormy Antartic looked full of himself in the paddock even kicking his heels in the air at one point. Just wasn’t good enough on the day.

Never seen so many happy Bookmakers leaving the course tonight, let’s make them all sad again tomorrow :good: Jac

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 126

@triptych Lol!

He gave me something of a two-hooved salute didn’t he? :whistle:

Hopefully today was a one-off and they can figure out how to keep a lid on him in the future; I do still like him.

Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

For some reason I thought Galileo Gold was a son of Galileo and had him pencilled down for 10+ furlong races. If only he was called Paco Gold, I’d have been all over him.
    What a plonker….!!

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 126

For some reason I thought Galileo Gold was a son of Galileo and had him pencilled down for 10+ furlong races. If only he was called Paco Gold, I’d have been all over him.
    What a plonker….!!

Lol! I assumed the same the first time I saw him. I think they should be required to declare any horses with ‘Galileo’ in the name who are not by Galileo. Red Galileo was another such imposter.

Participant
    • Total Posts 16296

Here’s a picture of the ‘imposter’ after winning the 2000 Guineas.

So many people there I had to go round to the cooling off area after he had been led away from the winners enclosure, but he’s a lovely horse… just like his daddy. :rose:

Things turn out best for those who make the best of how things turn out...
    Participant
    • Total Posts 31237

Nice photo Jac
    You can see his dad in him.
    Frankie was giving him as much praise and just as excited about riding him this season as he was about Shalaa in an article before the season started and that was a bit of a hint in itself.

Blackbeard to conquer the World

Participant
    • Total Posts 6132

What a great pic Jac!!
    I must admit I am biased!! But I did say about my two trotting into the dip together and had the exacta too!! as well as backing them both.

Cream cakes :yahoo: :yahoo: :yahoo:

And some sedatives for the doggies!!

I can’t see the winner getting a mile and a half though!! But that’s for another day.

Viewing 17 posts - 154 through 170 (of 182 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.